Travis and Ian's build

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sivart7208

Travis and Ian's build

Post by sivart7208 »

ok so over the past two weeks we have gotten a TON done.. for two full days of work we got both press's made and the top and bottom molds! here are the pics.. enjoy.

if you have any questions feel free to ask!

also i have TONS of pics just let me know what you want to see.

our press frames are made out of scrap TGI's that Ian's dad had sitting around.. there bulky but very strong!
MLReed05

Post by MLReed05 »

Very cool....have you tested your press under pressure?
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

ya we did up like 50 or somthing.. worked like a charm

next weekend we are going to make our cores and core profiler.. then press the weekend after that! im Pumped
hafte

Post by hafte »

WOW, I'm impressed. I hadn't thought to use TGIs. I think I’m going to follow suit, but use three TGIs top and bottom just to keep the platform from deflecting across it width. I would be really happy to get 30-40 psi. 50 is really awesome. That also lends itself to all kinds of possibilities for layup tables etc. Plus its light weight and easy to move out of the way or put on my wheeled work table.

Man, I love this site. So many great ideas!!! Post more on your progress. It'll be really cool to see how that works.

Hafte
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

ya we made the top so when not pressing it just sits on those 2x4 legs, so when we go to lay up we just simply lift the top off then sit it back on when we are done. works pretty slick
mattman

Post by mattman »

I recognize that hose :) so did you heatup the bolt and use it to melt the hole in the bladder? How else did you seal the ends of the bladder, just bolt? or any sealant? So the bar clamps are holding the press together? awesome shop setup though...i would kill for a view of Burke right now!
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

so for the hose we melted/drilled the holes (4 in each end) and bolted them together. we also used a ton of silicone (as much that could physically fit in there) so there are no leaks at ALL!

the shop set up is amazing its Ians dad's he builds houses and such

i would post a pic of buke with a new layer of snow but i forgot my thumb drive this luch period... ill post one when i get home.
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

mattman

Post by mattman »

thanks for the picture man...i miss home. little advice to anyone listening: never choose a college in an area without plenty of mountains!
plywood

Post by plywood »

NOOOO! i can`t outstand such pictures at the moment! how i`d like to see such early-winter-snowy-mountains!

but no - we still got nearly 20degrees (that`s about at least 15degrees too much for this month!) an snow`s far away :(

some resorts with glaciers planned to open two weeks ago - they`re still closed cause there`s no snow :( :( :(

and there`s no hope for better times for the next two weeks....

SUMMER SUCKS, autumn with temperatures like summer sucks even more! dded global warming!

by the way: nice work with your press-frame! really cool to see someone`s building the whole thing with wood! big up!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

mattman wrote:thanks for the picture man...i miss home. little advice to anyone listening: never choose a college in an area without plenty of mountains!
I know! Why did i chose Loyola in Chicago? I applied to Boulder but the distance from home and out of state tuition was just too much... there is always grad school i suppose.

The city does bring some "adventure."

Last Thursday i saw the new Warren Miller movie "Off the Grid"
It was great of course.
Tonight i went downtown to Borders to see a slideshow by Ed Viesturs (in case you don't know, he is the only American to climb the world's 14 8000m peaks without oxygen) If i wasn't spending so much gathering ski materials i would have bought his book he is promoting. Truely inspiring and a true legend.
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

yes he is.. i e-mailed princton-tech (his head lamp sponsor) asking for some stickers and such.. in return i got a signed poster.. its pretty ill
sivart7208

Last weekends work

Post by sivart7208 »

so now that its almost this weeked heres last weekends progress.. enjoy

zachjowi

Re: Last weekends work

Post by zachjowi »

sivart7208 wrote:so now that its almost this weeked heres last weekends progress.. enjoy

thats a very nice and solid planer from back in the day when they made tough tools. anyways can You explan what is happening in that last pic. Is that setup so that you make the base able to flex and shape it to fit your mold?

thanks
sivart7208

Post by sivart7208 »

the last pic is our core profiler. it makes the base thickier in the middle and thinner at the tip and tail , it gives the shape of the base..

so after this past weeked we planed all 4 bases and cut the side cuts into them. my demensions are 131-99-121 when i was drawing the sidecut (freehand and measurments not CAD, i dont know why we did that i guess i forgot!! whoops to late now) mine ended up an A semetric ski. so i decided to keep it that way as long as both skis were the same and they are... i think itll be interesting! ill post pics tomarow in class