plywood`s ride - the beginning

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

plywood

plywood`s ride - the beginning

Post by plywood »

well...i`ve been hanging around on the skibuilders-page for about a month and nearly read every post in this forum.
and now i think it`s time to share :

as you can see on the page http://www.plywood.ch.vu i`m building slalomskateboards. i started building skateboards because i thought it would be easier than building a snowboard.the years passed and i nearly forgot the idea i hade once.
but then i found the skibuilders website on the net and suddenly the old enthusiasm was back.

so i planned to build my own ride.

design:
at the moment i`m skiing a volant machete. so the next ski should be a bit fatter, about 150mm in the front. so i searched the skigallery and found "the white". because i had some troubles with the turbocad i took the shape of "the white" for my new skis and modified tip and tail by hand.
now the skis have a lenght of about 177cm and the dimensions 150/115/130. the tip is about 60mm off the ground and the tail just 45mm. i also want to make a special tail, kind of a combination of swallowtail and semi-twin. like the völkl selecta snowboard.

construction:
like the skateboards i build, the skis will also have a horizontal core. i got some sheets of ash, each sheet about 1,5mm thick. so the core will finally have 9mm in the middle and 3mm at tip and tail.
tip and tail will have honeycomb-inserts to reduce weight. (i got the honeycomb for free...so i`ll try how it works).
i also planned to use some 25mm wide carbonstrings, layed up like "V" and "X", similar to the ones used in some snowboards:

the sidewalls...i don`t know how to make them until now. i don`t trust wood sidewalls...and plastics like abs have a bigger risk of delamination.. .

press:
because of the special tail i have to press the ski with vakuum. but for pressing the ash-sheets of my core, vakuum has not enough pressure. there i also have to find a good solution. something with car-lifters i suppose...

so, as you see, for my first pair of ski i have plenty of plans, and even more possibilities of failure. at the moment i`m waiting for the materials and in about a week i`ll start with building the ski. then i`ll post some pics of what goes on in my garage :D
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
G-man

Post by G-man »

plywood,

Very nice work on the skateboards! I am cuious about the construction of your boards. How similar is their construction to that of a ski or snowboard? Do you use a sandwich construction that utilzes a core, layers of composite, and top and bottom sheets? Do you use resin to bond the layers together? Your graphics are very impressive, both in design and application. What is your favorite method for graphic application?... i.e., silkscreen or dye sublimation?

Can't wait to see your first ski or snowboard. Welcome to the forum.

G-man
plywood

Post by plywood »

hey g-man
thanks for the compliments!

about my skateboards:
similar to the construction of skis there are also several ways to construct a skateboard.

some manufacturers use vertical woodcores, like most of you in this forum use for their skis. if you use vertical cores your mold has to have a bit more camber, because also the slalomdeck loses camber with this way of construction. the rest is the same story: biaxial glass for torsional stiffness, unidirectional glass to get the flex.
the only difference: the core of a skateboard has everywhere the same thikness, about 5-7mm. because of this you have to apply more glass than on a ski with a thickness of 10-12mm. you also have to apply more biaxial glass or even glass in 90° direction. if you put not enough glass on it, the torsional forces will crack the board lenghtwise.

other manufacturers use horizontal woodcores. there you use several layers o veneer, glued togheter during layup. with this method your woodcore already has some camber (with the vertical construction you have to force a straight woodcore to get some camber with the fibreglass...i hope you get what i want to explain.). with the horizontal woodcore, the deck won`t lose any camber when it gets out of the press. the flex will also stay longer.
if you just use veneer you also have to pay attention and use some glass in 90° direction, otherwise the core will also crack lenghtwise.

for my decks i use horizontal woodcores. but i don`t use normal veneer. i use several sheets of 1mm plywood. this plywood consists of 3 layers of birchwood: 0°, 90°, 0°. this creates a relatively stiff woodcore, lenghtwise because of the 0° woodlayers of the plywood and the 90°-layers prevent stiffness in perpendicular direction. and i also become a core with camber because of the single plywoodlayers glued together.
i just reinforce the core with some unidirectional fibreglass, layed up lenghtwise....and that`s it!
so there is no need for a special topsheet, and everything can be glued together with epoxy in one step.

so... i hope you could get my explainings... my english sometimes is a bit messy :)

the grafics....most of them are horrible handwork: i use some adhesive film, cut out the motive/grafic, put the adhesive on the deck,and then brush over the hole thing with some spraypaint. and if you remove the adhesive film you have the grafic on the board :) well, as i said, it`s a lot of work...but it`s the cheapest thing for custommades.

hope i could answer your questions about building skateboards =)
cheers
plywood
G-man

Post by G-man »

Great information, plywood. Thank you.

G-man
plywood

Post by plywood »

i spent the past few days with building my mold.
as i announced in the first post i`ll have to press my skis with a vacuum-setup (because of the special construction). i tried this once with a skateboard. i made a small mold, laminated the board,put the whole thing with the mold in a bag and started the vacuumpump. after 4 hours of permanent working my pump was hot like hell. because i was afraid the pump could get too hot and break down i had to put it out. of course the epoxy was still hours away of fully cured and i lost the deck. so my first attempt with vacuum was kind of a failure.

but i`ve learnt! this time i wanted to build an airtight mold. so i wouldn`t have to put the whole mold in a vacuumbag. i just had to put a plastic foil over the ski and tighten the outline of the foil with some adhesive tape by adhering the plastic foil to the surface of my mold.
to fasten the curing-process of the epoxy i needed a heating. i already had some experiences with a heating made out of carbon fibres. it worked great for my skates, so i wanted to a similar system for the skis.

the mold
i built my mold like they showed it on the skibuilders tutorial. first i made a template out of 3mm MDF, then i took some 19mm thick MDF and routed out the ribs.
my skis are going to be 150mm wide and i`ll need some space on every side to fix the plastic foil on the surface of the mold during pressing. this finally resulted in a mold which is 240mm wide. i think this is enough. so i cut out 8 ribs made of 19mm mdf and 4 ribs of 20mm press board (i got this at home, had no other use for it...and it`s cheaper than mdf).

after glueing the ribs together i sanded the whole surface to get a plane area. but after sanding i still had some bumpiness in my mold. so i took the sawdust and mixed it with epoxy to fill these parts, similar to the use of a filler.

to get an airtight surface i covered the mold with some fibreglass. unfortunately it was too cold in the garage where i had to work, so the epoxy didn`t fully cure. so i took the whole thing inside the house...now i have to wait and hope that everything turns out well....

heating
well, as i wrote, i planned to construct a heating, based on a construction with carbon (if you put carbon under electric power it gets hot)... but i`ve managed to do some bad calculations and made a mistake...so i have to do an other attempt :evil:
so i`ll write more about this way of heating the press later...when i`m sure that my calculations are right :D
G-man

Post by G-man »

Plywood,

Your process sure sounds interesting and looks very good so far. I look forward to your next report.

G-man
plywood

Post by plywood »

well, i nearly finished my heating. this time i calculated everything whitout making mistakes - and it works! :D

so, first of all an overview over my whole setup:

in the background my mold, in front the dimmer i cut off from a spotlight and the two heating-sheets.

the idea behind my heating is very simple: if you put carbon under electric power it get`s warm/hot. the ideal way for building such a system are some carbon/fibreglass-hybrid-band. i don`t know if such tissues are also aviable in the usa...i`ve got mine from swiss-composite.ch . 1m costs about 6euros an is 150mm wide - ideal for a ski.
the fibreglass isolates, so you have several isolated carbonstrings. by connecting them in the right way you control the maximal heat...

i`ll write about the mathematics and formuals behind this way of heating tomorrow, it needs a bit time and i`m too tired ;)

and yes...the heating sheets didn`t turn out very proper and nice. but sometimes form follows function. if they were made with the necessary accuracy this would be the best and cheapest way for a very efficient heating!
Carvejunky

Post by Carvejunky »

Plywood

I can't wait to read the write-up on the heaters. I would like to incorporate heat into my next press, since I would like to build all the components myself I have been following this thread. Three cheers to your success... :D :D :D I am also extremely interested in the math, formula's and mechanics on how these work. Could you provide more info on the carbon bands? I tried to look up some info but couldn't find much. Thanks for all your efforts...

Carvejunky
G-man

Post by G-man »

plywood,

As usual, so much fun to watch your work progress.

G-man
plywood

Post by plywood »

how to build a heating

so, i`ll try to explain how to calculate and build a heating by using carbon...the whole thing (the explanations, not building the heating :D) is kind of difficult for me, i`ll have to use my dictionary a lot of times - i hope my head doesn`t explode :)

hopefully you even understand something :D

i also have to say that it`s not possible to build a 2m long heating-sheet with the carbon-fibreglass-hybrid-band i used! you wouldn`t get enough heat if you would use such a long sheet. that`s why i had to split my heating in to sheets of 1m each. this is a big disadvantage of my heating sheets. so for bladder-presses i don`t think that it would work to but the heatingsheets into the press because you would become a mess with the connections of the sheet in the middle of the press.
maybe this could be prevented by using one single, thinner roving instead of the heating sheet i used...

well, as i wrote before: for this kind of heating we use the characteristic of carbon, that it produces heat because of it`s electrical resistor.

why heat?

well, heating up your setup has several advantages. but the advantages depend on the system of epoxy you use...so i can just talk about the experiences i made with my stuff.
i use epoxy with which can be worked for 40minutes. after this time it gets to cure. for curing it need`s about 16-18 hours, fully cured after 24hours - so this is a pretty long time!
this time can be reduced by heating the whole thing up. with 60° it only lasts 3 to 5 hours until the epoxy is fully cured. so with a heating you save a lot of time.
an other point is a thing called "tempern"... i think the english word for this is "to anneal". the whole thing is about how to heat up your setup: you start at room temperature and then add every hour 10 to 20 degrees of temperature untill you reached the wanted maximum of temperature, then let the whole thing bake on this temperature for a set time and then cool down everything in steps, like you heated it. with this method of heating you can increase the strenght of the fibreglass.

but its very complicated because you have to use a system that heats up evenly and you have to controll the heating....

my setup described here is more the "freestyle-do it yourself-way to become a thing that more or less heats up the press something like evenly"

material

for my heating sheets i used a carbon-fibreglass-hybrid band. i tried to look up more informations about the carbon bands (as carvejunky asked in his post)...but i didn`t find much. i just can tell you that there are two widths aviable: 150mm and 250mm. both bands have a weigth of 225g/m2. and they are constructed like this: 2carbon rovings, 1 roving fibreglass, 2carbon rovings, 1 fibreglass etc. as you can see below there are 25 pairs of carbon rovings (from now on called carbon-double-roving)

calculations

and now for the funny part :evil: i really love to type some forumlas on the computer, damn. well, let`s start:

first of all you have to calculate the area, which gets heated from one carbon-double-roving (see above, 2 carbon rovings). for this you need the width, that get`s heated from such a double-roving:
this width you get by divide the total width through the number of carbondoublerovings.

Width_roving = total width / number of doublerovings

in my case:Width_roving = 150mm / 25 rovings = 6mm per doubleroving

for calculating the area, that gets heated by one double-roving you have to multiply the width, that get`s heated from one doubleroving, with the length of such a roving.

Area_roving = Width_roving * lenght_roving

in my case: Area_roving = 6mm * 1m = 0.006m2

as i said on the beginning, i split the whole thing up into two sheets of 1m lenght each. so one doubleroving heats up 0.006 square-meters of the heatingsheet.

then you have to set a area-heat-output. (flächenheizleistung for the germans) this area-heat-output is measured in Watt per squaremeter. so, by setting the wanted heat-output you determine the temperature you want to reach with your heating. i found somewhere a table with some heat-outputs and temperatures referred to it...so i used this table and appreciated the needed heat output:

area-heat-output (W/m2) temperature (°C)
224 -------------------------------- 38
449 -------------------------------- 55
673 -------------------------------- 70
898 -------------------------------- 83
1122 ------------------------------- 95
1347 ------------------------------ 104

well, as i said, i found this table somewhere. i think it was in an article about tempering from a professional manufacturer - that`s why there are such precise datas of heat-output and temperature.

but, as i said, this is a how-to for a risk-loving hobbyist - so the table can be used as a clue to appreciate the area-heat-output on your press.

for my press i took an area-heat-output of 700 W/m2. this would result in about 70 degrees. this also depends on the system of epoxy you use - mine gets destroyed if heaten up on more than 80 degrees, so you have to pay attention to this!

for further calculations i`ll use the letter "P" as heat-output, so P_area will be the area-heat-output:
P_area = 700 W/m2

after having set the wanted area-heat-output you have to transform this to receive the needed heat-output for a carbon-double-roving.
so the heat-output of a doubleroving results in the multiblication of the area,heated by such a roving, with the total area-heat-output:

P_roving = Area_roving * P_area

in my case i got: P_roving = 0.006m2 * 700 W/m2 = 4.2 W

the next step is about electricity and power: in physics they have a forumla for the correlation of electricity, power and electrical resistance:

power = resistance * (electricity)2 <- this means... quadrilateral? hu, i have some difficulties with translating the whole physical expressions ...

P = R * I2

so if you transform this you become the needed current flow of electricity (=I) through one double-roving:

current flow = square root of (P_roving / Resistance of a roving)

the electrical resistance of a double-roving i got from a publication. there they made some heatings with this method too, and the measured the resistance of the carbon-bands, so i just adopted their results:
R_roving = 79.3 ohm

for my heating: I_roving = square root (4.2 W / 79.3 Ohm) = 0.2301 Ampere

the next step is to calculate the total power of the heatingsheet. for this you have to multiply the total area with the area-heat-output:

P_total = P_area * Area_total

in my case: P_total = 700 * (0.15m*1m) = 105 W
so, now you have the total power of your heating...and we`re taking the last few steps!

now that you have the total power you have to calculate the total current flow of electricity, called I_total.

I_total = P_total / U_total

"U" stands for the tension. this may vary from country to country... here in europe we have continuous current with 220 V. so my calculations where:
I_total = 105 W / 220 V = 0.4773A

and now for the last step: now you have to calculate how many double-rovings you have to connect parallel. with these parallel connections you determine, how "much" current flow of electricity flows through each double-roving. (in parallel connections the current flow kind of splits up and goes ...split up through the several rovings which are connected together. so by connecting 2 rovings together you reduce the current flow throug each one by half in comparison to one sinle roving)

to become this number of rovings, connected parallel, you have to distribue the total current flow through the needed current flow of a double-roving:

number of rovings = I_total / I_roving

in my case: # of rovings = 0.4773 / 0.2301 = 2.0743 rovings

so you have to round the result you become, because you can`t connect 2.07 rovings. in this case it isn`t a big deal to round the whole thing... but also here you have to be careful! by rounding up/down the number of connected rovings you also change the current flow through the rovings and with this you also influence retroactively the heat-output of your heating and the temperature!!!

and now: how to connect the carbon rovings
there are several possabilities. i just made the cheapest one: i took some copper wire, wrapped it around the rovings and connected them like this.

after you connected everything properly you have to put your heating sheet the first time under power. this is a very important step for following reason: the carbon-glass-hybrid band is a good thing, but also there some small little carbonfibres sometimes stick out and hang over the fibreglass, which should isolate the several carbonstrings. this creates small little short-circuits. so if you put the whole thing under power, these little fibres, which creat the short-circuits, will burn away because they get too much current flow.
if you wouldn`t do this, you had some short-circuits after laminating the heating-sheet. but with one big difference: after laminating these little fibres won`t burn away because they are covered with epoxy - they are in an isolating, airthight area. there they just become very hot, maybe the even glow and because of this they destroy your laminate in their environment.

so after this step you can laminate the heatingsheet. you have to be very careful and prevent unnecessary movement of the sheet, because they could create new fibres which stick out and which create new short-circuits. but as this is nearly impossible you have to check your heating after laminating: if you find some new short-circuits you have to cut them with a knife.

well... and then your heating is finished!
the last one i made for my skateboards worked for a year and lasted for about 40 skateboards. but on the connection-points of the carbon with the copper wire resulted a higher temperature (because of some conection-resistors between the different materials) and i think this is the reason why it doesn`t work anymore :(
but 10CHF (for a sheet with 15cm*1m) for one year of heating, gaining time and improving the strenght of my boards was totally worth it!
endre

Post by endre »

this is pretty amazing reading.didn't even know this could be done so easily!
thanks plywood.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Yes , very amazing. Great job, plywood, in communicating the process. I'm sure you put quite a lot of time into it. Thank you.

G-man
hydrant71

Post by hydrant71 »

wow, very nice work.

jason
plywood

Post by plywood »

well, yes, it took quite a "long" time until i got the overview over the whole thing. but i could rely on a publication of some university-projects that were published on swiss-composite.ch . they helped me a lot and i got the basics from these descriptions. but it took some time anyway until i understood the whole formulas etc. and to adapt the stuff to my needs.

but if you once understood the system behind this way of constructing a heating it`s the easiest, cheapest and quickest thing to build! :D

and the adrenaline that flows through your veins before you put the heating under power for the first time is nearly for free ;)
Carvejunky

Post by Carvejunky »

Plywood,

Thanks for the write up. Great job, and easy to follow. As soon as I finish my press I'll be starting on this. The material appears to be a carbon/fiberglass hybrid tape ( 6" to 10" wide ). In a short search I haven't been able to find the material in the U.S. Is there a possability you could use carbon tow ( continous filament ) ? Just a thought.

Thanks again,

Carvejunky