DD

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Chris Downing

DD

Post by Chris Downing »

I am a 270lbs ski coach at GMVS. I build binding lifters for race skis. I have built 19 pair of custom fat skis. I cut the ski in half tip to tail, change the side cut and add a varying shaped core and base, west system, and vacuum bag a new fiberglass/carbon top sheet. I have never skied less than 100 days on a pair of custom (Downing Design) skis.

The latest are a pair of 180cm dynastar candide cut in half down the middle clamped on a jig with a dimension of 140-99-121 (for eastern woods). With a template from the void I cut the center of a dynastar concept 178 cm to fill the void, and laminated it in there with 6 pumps of west system 105/209; 2 tbls. 406; 1 tbls. 426; After 48 hrs. I remove from jig sand down the top sheet (rough), wash, and vacumbag a 14 oz. episized fiberglass top sheet on with12 pumps of west system 105/209, peel ply. After 48 hrs. I remove from bag trim top sheet, t-nut on a aluminum tip protector, ad graphics and clear cote with 3 pumps west system 105/207.

Because I have two jigs and I cannot accurately duplicate the side cuts I build two pair at a time, resulting in four skis in one vacuum bag. The second latest pair is a dynastar 178cm. concept cut in half. With a 175 Trouble maker as the core, Witch with the tips lined up gives the ski turned up hallow tail / fine on the top, supper intriguing to see how it will ski. 132-85-112

I will have to figure out how to post my pictures soon. I jump around between projects next I need a pair of binding lifters for my GS boards. (That allow the ski to flex round, hold the forward pressure constant, are torsionally strong, will build and generate speed)
Last edited by Chris Downing on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
downing design
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Sounds very interesting! Would love to see some pics of how your skis are put together.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Chris Downing

Post by Chris Downing »

Here are some pictures of two pairs in the jig (dry fit) with the cores ready for epoxy. These were last years projects.
This 176cm rossi b1, Became 132-95-118, hard to ski all day the tail woul push you in to the turn right when you wanted to relax, or it wouldn't let you finish the turn when you needed to. I'm not a poly core fan, wood is good.
This old 170 Fischer was like brand new when I begain, It had awsome construction the side wall profile was lage metal edges, alluminium, black side wall/ spruce wood core, alluminium top sheet. It Became 137-108-127 and was the stiffest 170 I have ever seen. It was hard to ski it would let in to the turn and pop you out befor you were done, until I bent them on Mad River moguls, With 5mm of reverse camber they were fun.
downing design
Chris Downing

newest dd

Post by Chris Downing »

On the left is a pair of 180cm dynastar candide cut in half down the middle clamped on a jig with a dimension of 140-99-121 (for eastern woods). With a template from the void I cut the center of a dynastar concept 178 cm to fill the void, and laminated it in there with 6 pumps of west system 105/209; 2 tbls. 406; 1 tbls. 426; After 48 hrs. I remove from jig sand down the top sheet (rough), wash, and vacumbag a 14 oz. episized fiberglass top sheet on with12 pumps of west system 105/209, peel ply. After 48 hrs. I remove from bag trim top sheet, t-nut on a aluminum tip protector, ad graphics and clear cote with 3 pumps west system 105/207.

Because I have two jigs and I cannot accurately duplicate the side cuts on both, I build two pair at a time, resulting in four skis in one vacuum bag.

On the right pair (with green pigment) is a dynastar 178cm. concept cut in half. With a 175 Trouble maker as the core, Witch with the tips lined up gives the ski turned up hallow tail / fine on the top, supper intriguing to see how it will ski. 132-85-112

I would like to start with new materials but there are so many old skis for nothing. I just recycle them. I spend about 10 hours on two pair, and less than 100 dollers in materials.
I would like to see what people think of this.
Last edited by Chris Downing on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
downing design
Greg

Post by Greg »

Those things are really impressive.
Chris Downing

Post by Chris Downing »

I punched some numbers and the green pair is a 16.23 meter radius, and the other is A 19 meter radius.
downing design
Chris Downing

testing

Post by Chris Downing »

Finally had enough snow to totally test the last two. The green one has a speed limit with that 16 meter radius and will flutter on hard pack (too much tapper angle) but Rip's bumps and powder. The other one with 18 meter radius and 99mm under foot will arch any were trough bumps, woods, powder I even ran some slalom gates. Totally awesome 140 - 99 - 121 from an old dynastar Candide.
downing design
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

I never would have thought of even trying that. Why the heck not blend the best of many to make something for your own.

Let us know how they work in different conditions.. I'm darn curious now!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.