OGNI 2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

tufty

OGNI 2014

Post by tufty »

OGNI == Objet Glissant Non-Identifié

So, finally got down to it after a few tests, did the first glue-up of the core for my new skwal this morning.

Abachi with white oak stringers, ipé sidewalls to go on later.

Length will be 190, with a 14m radius.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Be sure to post some pics!
Love Skwal!
tufty

Post by tufty »

Had a productive morning or two, and then a bit of a disaster.

Made up templates from 3mm ply "recovered" from some old cupboard doors. Might be able to "recover" some veneer for topsheet purposes from them as well, if I'm careful.

Also finished up my core profiling surface, made from a pair of 20cm x 7 cm boards and, itself, profiled with the router. Lots of dust and noise.

Did some gluing tests with bits of ipé, I can get away with using titebond (joint wouldn't come apart even when "encouraged" with a hammer, the oak I was bonding to eventually broke).

And then, disaster.

Went to shape the core in order to glue my sidewalls on. Initial cut with my cheap-ass jigsaw went fine, then went to bring the edge down to spec by routering off the excess 2-3mm with a bearing bit. It was at this point that one of my lousy (and also cheap-ass) clamps decided to let go, resulting in the core springing up, the bearing running underneath it as yours truly wasn't putting enough downward pressure on the router; the result being a 2cm x 1cm bite out of the core. It's saveable, but means either:

- re-ripping that side of the core down straight and re-laminating it before re-shaping
- re-shaping *both* sides of the core to remove the bite (coming down from a nominal 8.5cm at waist to 6 or so) and then re-laminating *both* sides with a strip of abachi along the sidewall radius, and then the ipé sidewalls themselves.
- re-ripping sidewalls that are 2.5cm wide ; this is definitely out as there's no way I can bend ipé that thick...

I'm tending towards the second option as it means, if I use pre-bought 13x13 mm abachi strips, I can have a smoother surface to bond the ipé to.

Still, gutted.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Fill it with a paste epoxy for wood, sand smooth.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
tufty

Post by tufty »

Vinman wrote:Fill it with a paste epoxy for wood, sand smooth.
If it had been a small nick, I would have. Unfortunately, a nearly half-inch deep hole in the side of the core calls for more a more radical approach. Frickin' router.

So, I've re-shaped the sides and it's currently clamped up with a couple of extra 13x13 abachi stringers. No real harm done, apart from a couple of days setback. Once they are set, on go the tip and tail blocks and the sidewalls (all ipé).

In other good news, I've managed to recover my camera from the lad, so I'll get some photos up.

[edit]

In fact, here's one right now.

tufty

Post by tufty »

Had a few days off, what with work and being involved in a big kid's ice hockey tournament (3 days, 3 sites, 200+ kids, 195 matches, one result co-ordinator - guess who that was).

Anyway, finished up my core this morning. Rabbeted, profiled, shaped, drilled for inserts, slightly bloodstained after stabbing my hand on a shard of ipé. Photos tomorrow if I can make the time around putting insulation on pipes, hiding said insulated pipes behind wooden boxes, changing car tyres, plastering, paining, and all the other crap I need to do.