Juke 2013/2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

What size router bit you are planning to use to profiling core?
After all router options is a small trim router. I wouldn't be comfortable to us anything over 3/4" diameter in it.

Nice-looking CNC. Good luck with it
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Aspire is a $1900.00 program, you're telling me it comes included with the machine?

how are your curves coming out? any lumps or nicks where the machine studders? Mach3 will not cut curves/circles continuously, it stops along the way.
Doug
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

knightsofnii wrote:Mach3 will not cut curves/circles continuously, it stops along the way.
That might be an artifact of your gcode, or maybe some settings in Mach3? I use mach3 and mine does circles/curves continuously?
JukeSnowboarding

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

@chrismp I got the 3x8 machine which actually works out to being 6 inches longer in both directions. Over the next couple days I will try to do some tests on the cuts and report back with my findings.

@MadRussian Ya the Bosch Colt has a 1/4 shank, and with my trial cuts I had a 1/4 and 1/2 bit. 3/4 would probably be what I topped out at if I pick one up soon.

@knightsofnii This was my first weekend ever using any of the software or making cuts, but when I cut the core the entire process was smooth with no studdering.
JukeSnowboarding

@MontuckyMadman I have no idea if this is the best way to go about this, but for my first time trying to profile the core I used this flute cut.

This was something I just did really quickly so the measurements do not line up, but I figured out where I wanted my profile to occur then drew a line. After that I used the multiple array tool. This allowed me to copy my line and also set the spacing so that the bit I was using would overlap cuts.

Then I chose the flute depth and correct tool, and ramped over the length of my lines to get a consistent cut to the nose and tail.

Im not sure if that gives you a better idea. And I am open to any and all suggestions, I was trying to see if the machine could do a profile and this was the method I came up with.

Also idk if any of you will find this helpful, but Sean over at Donek shared this with me and it has helped me understand varying bit information.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8GtiBW ... edit?pli=1
More

Post by More »

Smart way to profile using vcarve there mate, good work.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you really got Aspire with the machine?

I have aspire until this computer dies, then I have to go out and buy it again :(.

I just cut out the bottom and top pieces for my vacuum hold down table.
Using Aspire made it a pretty easy job.

And yes, now that I'm using a good CAM processor, the machine is cutting nice curves and circles without studdering or stopping. I think it was Lazycam that was taking shortcuts.
Doug
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I use CamBam : pretty cheap and not that hard to use, definitely not as user friendly as Aspire but not the same price tag either...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I almost jumped on this when I first saw in. I'm in for details. Wondering what the repeat-ability of the machine is.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I've sent numerous emails to the cnc-mogul support asking for precision, accuracy and repeatability without a response so far. They've answered all my other questions but always avoided this one. That's why I was asking Juke to make some tests.
amidnightproject

Even more curious now. Would be great if he can take the time to do it.
JukeSnowboarding

Sorry for the lack of testing so far. I will try to do a bunch of samples within the week.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Any more work with this thing? Likes? Dislikes?
JukeSnowboarding

I am sorry it has taken so long. Started first "real" job since I graduated college in May, takes up more time than I thought. I will try to have the tests and pictures up this weekend.
amidnightproject

JukeSnowboarding wrote:I am sorry it has taken so long. Started first "real" job since I graduated college in May, takes up more time than I thought. I will try to have the tests and pictures up this weekend.
"real" jobs can be cool tho! More money to finance the building of stuff!!

I bought one of these last week regardless. Ordered the gantry upgrade and am going with a 2.25hp digital router from craftsmen.