David's yet to be named thread

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

the.quass

David's yet to be named thread

Post by the.quass »

Hey Guys,
I have been lurking on here for ages reading and attempting to soak in some of the information that is on here. Thanks so much to all the brainy folks!

So I have been working out in my head what I am am going to do. I live in a smallish house in Melbourne and think that the best option is something like OAC's amazeballs setup. I would like a larger press but just can't justify the expense.

Currently I am sourcing the tools I have some of them and still need some.
I need a router still and will get one on ebay.
I need a vacuum pump but am struggling to find one on ebay here that is reasonable. I will keep looking and hoping as I don't want to have to pay 300 bucks for one.

I cut out my first template piece today. I am going to make them so the camber can be swapped out. Once I get the router i will start making the pieces
I am a best man at a wedding this Thursday so will be spending my time trying not to screw that up. Will try and update this with news.
David
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

Welcome to the forum! This is the pump I use and its great. Hope this helps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomas-Compress ... 0697985007
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey Probs,
Thanks for the info. I have looked at him before. It doesn't look like he ships to OZ. I am still confused about voltage as we are 240 here and you guys are 110. Most electrical products do both these days but will need to look into that more.
David
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey chaps,
I have been getting some work sorted out for this little project. Have made up the lid for my VAC press. Have made a nice new bench to work on. I have purchased a router for a good price (got it on sale) and a triton work bench with saw on eBay for cheap. I picked it up last night. I drive a 70's mini so that made the guy laugh a bit.
I have been speaking to a really helpful guy about cncing my templates for the mould. He said I have a lot of room left in the sheet I am purchasing so I am going to draw up my core profile rails, base template and anything else I can think of. That should save me some time later on.
Will post pics when I actually have something to show.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hi Guys,
I have been playing a fair bit in autocad lately and have been toying with the idea of trying to follow something like never summers vario sidecut/rocker camber technology. If you don't know what this is you can see it explained here. I have read a lot about it and it seems really great. What are the brains trusts thoughts on this? I read they have it patented which I hear is really rare in the industry.
http://www.neversummer.com/images/never ... lained.jpg

Am I being stupid and making life way to hard for myself? Should I do a normal camber/normal sidecut build first?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I make skis and there's all sorts of variations of rocker/camber/shape combinations. I recommend walking before running, it will save time and money in the long run. There's a lot of processes that need to be ironed before making your dream board.
falls

Post by falls »

As long as you get your design right it shouldn't be that much harder to build this style than a conventional style. Not sure how well vacuum will pull that rocker-camber style profile though with all the hills and valleys. Someone using a vacc system might be able to comment better.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey guys, i thought about it and I am just going to keep it simple for the first one or two till I know what I am doing. I am going to buy enough stuff for 3 boards. Maybe no 3 will be a bit more tech. fired up the new triton bench today. Worked great. All fingers and toes are accounted for.Making a router bridge tomorrow. Sent off the DWG file for CNC work so will see how that goes. Slowly slowly catchy monkey
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Got a bunch of stuff done lately.
Got a guy to cnc out my templates for the mould. I filled the sheet up with as many as I could. Getting a router table for my triton soon so I will wait till I get this to churn out the rest.
Got the template cut as well along with the router bridge rails. I had room that I couldn't fill with mould pieces so Thought I would give this a try.

Received my base, Tnuts, edges and some other stuff in the mail today. Pretty stoked on this.

Need to get

1. Some sort of membrane for the vacuum (looking for something cheap, any suggestions).
2. A Vacuum pump ( getting an ebay special I think.)
3. Fibreglass ( will get from boatcraft.com.au, thanks Falls)
4. Epoxy... I am weighing up this still.

I can get 1 lL of Entropy resin and 500 ml of hardener from here for 150.00 plus postage
http://www.surfinggreen.com.au/?product ... er-sap-clr

Or I can get 4 litres of West Sys 205 and 105 from here for 154.00.. I can pick it up as it's on the way to my parents place.

http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/category3_1.htm

Now that I have typed that out it really seems like a no brainer.
Moving slowly but at least I am moving.
falls

Post by falls »

ATL composites also make the kinetix range of epoxies that are probably better for sporting goods than their west system.
The R240 resin is good. They have a fast and slower hardener. Trouble with getting epoxy here is the hazardous goods surcharge on shipping. Shipping is often $70. Although that super sap from the link say $15 Australia wide which is very cheap (not sure if its because of its Eco content? Maybe I have been getting ripped off).
West will get it done for your first few especially if you can pick it up locally.
falls

Post by falls »

http://www.samsarasurfboards.com/E17673 ... p-100-1000
These guys in warragul sell the entropy too. They seem to stock the 100/1000 combo that people on here seem to use more than the CLR stuff.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Thanks Falls
I am really unsure why Warragul needs a surf shop but thanks for finding that. That looks like a good option. That would be 40 odd bucks a board which isn't that bad.

Will give them a buzz.
D
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

40 bucks per board for epoxy sounds pretty steep! 40 Aus. is 41.09.

I'm paying about 11 bucks per board with QCM/Forrest.
Then again i get 5gal at a time ;)
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

eh, my math tells me i get about 40 boards per 5gal / 1gal hardner setup.

since its 4/1 it takes a little more hardener, like an extra quart.

350 I think i paid for my last shipment. 8.75 per board.

And yes every order is a 25 dollar hazmat... so just order more to make it worth it ;)
Doug
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

how dou you get away with that little epoxy?! i use 22 oz fiberglass and the glass alone needs 600g (0,7 quart or 0,175 gal considering the specific weight of it)! i usually use about 700g (0,8qt or 0,2gal) for one board between 150-160cm and i don't get much squeezeout.