New Skis Just Completed

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sleepycp

New Skis Just Completed

Post by sleepycp »

Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Very nice looking skis. What's the stats and build?
sleepycp

Post by sleepycp »

They are 181 cm, 125mm, 82mm, 110mm. Full camber, no rocker.
Well, when you flatten the camber, there is a bit of early rise.

regular 2001, I think, p-tex, full wrap tip on the edges, 1/2" vds on top of the edges on the side, the fat vds in the tip and tail. 1 layer in the tip, two in the tail, sandwiching an aluminum plate, the same size as the tail spacer, included to strengthen the tail for durability. 1 strip 1" plain weave 5.6 oz carbon tape centered underneath the core, 22 oz triax, poplar core with a maple center stringer and maple sidewalls, more 22 oz triax, a strip of the same carbon tape along each sidewall, then the topsheet, which was dye sub printed by the guys at Coda. The core is 12 mm at the thickest, tapering to 2 mm in the tip and tail.

I am still using some QCM epoxy I have, pressing with about 35 - 40 psi, heated to 170 fahrenheit. I leave the heat on for 1 hour once the temperature has been reached, and leave the skis in the press under pressure until they have returned to the starting temperature, or at least another hour. Seems to work.

I don't have a cat track, rather I use a piece of masonite with a melamine type material on 1 side, covered with mold release wax, with a piece of 1/4" rubber foam behind it and a piece of bending ply, 3/16" I think, behind that. That makes the top of the casette. I put the thop of the mold directly on top of that, and the fire hoses between the top mold and the press frame. the top mold is a mirror of the bottom mold, camber and all. I seem the get good contact along the full length.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great looking skis! Nice pics. I just made a pair similar dims (178cm 125-82-108) they are my 1 of my favorites.
sleepycp

Post by sleepycp »

yeah, that's a good overall shape for a turny ski. I took it from some Volkll Unlimiteds. theses skis would be really something with a little titanal in them.