Face Lift!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Face Lift!

Post by rockaukum »

So I was kinda bored yesterday and while in the shop I was staring at the used ski lot. Staring back at me was a pair of skis that had several days on them. The construction was good however the skis were kinda stiff for my liking (skiing is supposed to be fun). So I decided to dismantle them and sand down the core a bit and re glass them. Here is how it went down...
First, I used a box cutter to get a purchase between the topsheet and the core. Then I used a putty knife and broke the bond little by little until the topsheet was separated from the core.
That took about 25 minutes to do one ski. On the next one I used the box cutter on the tip area. Then used the putty knife to peal back the tip. Then I just grabbed the topsheet and pealed it back. Came off just fine and took only a few minutes!
Now the fun part, Sanding the remaining glass from the core and then sanding down the core in an effort to soften the ski. First I use a belt sander.
Takes time and is a bit of work. So I opted for another route. This went a lot faster and was clean too!
After sanding the core I needed to protect the inserts from epoxy so I covered them with the magnetic stickies.
Here are the cores all ready to go....
The rest is basic building... Here is the glass on the core...
Here is the new topsheet applied...
All wrapped and ready for the press...
In the press for the night....
It is kinda cold here (40's durring the day) so I use pellet stove to heat the room and help with the epoxy cure.
After skiing tomorrow I'll take them out and prep them for the snow! Hope they are a bit softer!
RA
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

great idea! definitely looks promising! :)

may i ask how much you paid for that wintersteiger snb 350?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

ive seen snb350's go for 3500-5000 with no autofeed or SEG,
with both i've seen them for 5500+.

I lucked out and got mine for $free.99, :)
But i had to buy a phase converter, a pump, and some doodads, about 1k invested. :)
Doug
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Skis are finished. Will post update and pics later.
Lets just say I paid more than Knight and less than $1000. Complete and in great working order. I did have to build a converter but that was not too bad.
RA
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Went to the shop to take the skis out of the press this morning. Here are the skis fresh from the press.
There is some epoxy on the base but most of what you see is the spray adhesive used to locate the base on the cassette. Cleans off quick with the sander.
Cutting the flash with a jig saw.
Using the edger to profile the sidewall. Starting to do this for all skis as it is so much easier that using a router.
Next I went to the sander and cleaned the bases. Then to the grinder for a fresh base grind. Here is the results.
Using metal filings to locate the inserts.
Drilling out the inserts.
Finished product!
All in all this took just under two hours and the results are good. The flex seems to be softer, which was the reason for doing this in the first place. Tomorrow I will be heading out to the resort and will be giving these a go for their money! Here's to hoping for good results on the snow!
RA
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Great write up and thanks for posting pics along the way.

Hope this worked out well for you and they are indeed softer.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Very nice! Great way to re-use an old ski!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Okay, So I got to head out today. Went to the resort with my son. The skis worked great. Softened up just right. Nice edge hold and great control. But with these snow conditions it is kinda hard to go wrong! Skied until 12:30 and had lunch with some friends. We decided to do a quick hike for the afternoon as the snow was holding up well. So I went to the truck and switched out the skis for some other skis more suited for the powder hike. Another new pair. About 45 minutes later we were rewarded with a great powder run that was untouched! Looks like I'm heading out Thursday to do some more hiking!
Next up.... Resurfacing another pair!
I highly recommend doing this to your old favorites or ones that were to stiff or even too soft, extra glass?
RA
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

this is good news, you just beat the level 3 boss and unlocked a new cheat code for us all!!! :)

I've got a handful of duds that could use this work :)
Doug
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Doug,
You are correct! With a little thought you can do all kinds of things, not just soften up your ride but even do minor tweaks to specific areas. Hope to hear from others who have tried to target specific areas of their skis and boards.
RA
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Where are you riding. Went to alpine today and it was pretty weak sauce.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

MM,
I try to ski on the cheap and have a pass at Sierra At Tahoe ($200 with blackouts) Will be heading out tomorrow with the hope of six plus inches....
My kids have the Squaw, Alpine pass and frequent there. They are students at UNR. Keep your eye out for them. Both have home builts and play in the parks mainly.
Are you at the north end of the lake? I'm looking for someone to tour with in the Truckee area on Saturday if your interested. I don't know the area ski wise but will probably go explore anyway.
RA
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I was just passing through on my way to sac for redneck retard show for work.
Will be back through on mon to ski. Sierra at tahoe got snow when others did not it looked like. Didnt bring my skins and only have a half day before I have to head to denver for another show. Prolly try and head to slc and ride snowbird or alta.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Next time you head to sierra, let me know and bring your skins if the snow is falling. Ill take you around. Also bring the other stuff, trans, shovel, and probe......
Fantastic day today! Good foot of cold, cold snow.
RA
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yeah I see the reports. Missed it by a few hours.
Guy I travel with is not a bc guy. Didnt bring my gear but trans to findy body in an inbounds slide at an expensive lift served area.
Kirkwood and sirrea I would like to ski sometime.
Dont come round these parts but once a year. Im missing good snow at home as well and about 1/10 the amount of people.