JT's Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

cainguy

JT's Skis

Post by cainguy »

Well I thought since I had made some progress, however slow, I would move this from the the "design" thread. Ill paste the last post from the other thread and then update. :)

From Dec 6 2012;

Well I finally got the cores finished to the stage of profiling them using the planer. As has been mentioned it hasn't happen unless there's photos so here you go.

I sawed the bamboo into 1/2" strips and then ran them through the planer to 7/16"

The fir I had been hoping for didn't work out but my "wood connection" got me some absolutley gorgeous Yellow Cedar. It was a shame to resaw it down to 3/4x7/8 from rough 2x6. Here's the lamination hiding hiding behind my favorite STBR beverage. The lamination was done with cold cure and is bamboo(due to the lack of the fir) and Yellow Cedar.

I built three templates from hardboard. The extra 8 bucks for the painted stuff was sure worth it. The one in this shot is the second one for cutting the "sidewall" space out of the core blank.. I used an old piece of a shelving unit that is 1/2" square tubing to bend the radius and then used it as an edge for my flush trim bit in my router. It worked way better than the snocad print.

I used a piece of aluminum flat bar I had to make a drill jig for creating the templates from the master and to cut the cores using dowel pins to keep it all lined up. I flipped the template to cut the other side of the blank. There's that Hop Circle again...mmmmm

Once I had the cores cut I laminated the balance of the bamboo into the void I created. Three strips of bamboo on each side with cold cure again. The "sidewalls" are right around 1 1/4" with about 1/32" left for finishing all around. Also show is the template for the "full" core. I plan on using tip spacer but for only 7/8" where the bamboo ends. The dimensions ended up 184cm 158-131-144. Since I sort of used my el-hombres as inspiration and after a few bevys I figured el-retardo might be a good name.....boy they look rediculous.

Well the hill opens Saturday so skiing is going to get in the way of this but I will update you once I get the planer rig built.
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

I got the cores profiled last night. The planer rig worked really well. (thanks for the idea Falls)
I used the same dowel holes as I used for the templates to locate the cores and only needed some two sided tape to hold the very end of the tip/tail down.
The end result is 2.5-12.5-2.5
Now for the tip spacers :)

MU

Post by MU »

Nice cores. What's the thought with the bamboo sidewalls? They do have a tendency to soak up moisture.
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

Thanks MU.
I wanted to keep the sidewalls as wide as possible to try to improve the torsional rigidity on such a wide ski.
I'm not worried too much about water absorbtion. No end grain will be exposed and I will seal what is exposed.

JT