photo updates

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dtrain

photo updates

Post by Dtrain »

Just some photo updates. ridin all the boards. they are great. sold a split, and a set of skis. puttin the money towards more materials (splitboard clips/glass/basalt/carbon). we are also thinkin of gettin a cubic meter of Paulownia from China. cant find the stuff around Canada. I was quoted $887 cut to my spec. enough wood to do 50 pairs skis/snowboard. We have to pick it up in Vancouver though. Any lower mainlander wanna get in on a wood order, let me or Upper Left Coast know. Thats a bit more wood than we need.

We also found a allstone base grinder in the dungeon of a local sporting goods store, thing looks to be in great condition. we bought it for $500. came with cuttin fluid and a bunch of spare belts.

ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Very nice ! That gives me even more motivation to go on on the CNC project !
Do you have any feedback about the durability of urethane sidewalls/tipspacers ? I didn't really considered it but I think those pictures makes me want to give it a try !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Hey Ben, the urethane sidewalls are awesome. I like the wood sidewalls to, but do t like the look or tip sacers really with the clear topsheets. Plus there just another thing that could shift/slip while pressing. My splitboard has now taken a few good rides. Mostly deep pow, but a couple groomers to test the Carving ability of the sidecut/sidewalls. They urethane feels great. The girl who just bought those skis has yet to mount them, but after she rides them I update you with feedback. We use a 90a, so pretty hard stuff. I would not consider using anything softer. Plus the production is sped right up. Cnc the channel and pour. With all the plastic sidewall horror stories In these forums, I never tried and probably never will. The Cnc is my friends machine. He also built from scratch. We have totally wrecked a few cores while profiling but now that the vacuum is working things are going pretty good.

QUESTION FOR ALL CNC USERS: my friend has been profiling with one pass in the tool path . Seems like a lot of material to take off on the tips with one pass. I give him the benefit of the doubt because he built the machine, but should I suggest a few more passes. What are you guys doing? Twizz? More?anybody?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I guess if it's working, it's working, but I know I could never get away doing the profile in one pass. But that's my machine, and my processes, which I am sure are not ideal.

I do a roughing pass first, that cuts it down like a stair step in three passes (so 3-4mm per step I suppose), and then I do the finishing. The roughing cuts going side-to-side, and then the finishing cuts go tip-to-tail back and forth. These are pretty shallow cuts, but I worry too much about material lifting, or putting to much load on the router, so I err on the conservative side. It takes about 10-15 minutes to profile one core, so it's not quick, but I trust it so I can walk away and do other things. I use a 1.5" straight flute router bit, with 50% overlapping (cuts .75" per pass), and I cut at 75ipm.

Seems like you might lose, or risk losing, some level of accuracy by doing it all in one single pass. Having the finishing passes be very light means your not really stressing the machine/router that much.

I, too, have been wanting to try urethane sidewalls for a long long time. Your photos are reminding me of this! Great work!
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Very nice looking process and product! Makes me realize the value of having a CNC router, almost no way you could do the urethane sidewalls without the precision of the machine.

Nice work guys.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

When I started out pouring PU sidewalls I didn't have a cnc router either! I just drew a line on the core to follow. Wasn't perfect but worked.
More

Post by More »

Damn I want urethane sidewalls! It seems bloody expensive here. I'm going to Europe though, and I'll ship some back I think.

RE profiling we're doing it in a lot more than 1 pass, but that's partially to do with the fact I'm in no hurry, but don't want to wreck a core.

I'm also using a monster cutter, 38mm, so doing a couple of passes doesn't take long. I go for 3mm passes, finishing with a 1mm pass. doesn't take long.