Ski building awesomeness 12/13

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

twizzstyle wrote:
skimann20 wrote: Twiz: good point but "tons"? I thought you only use 700g? sorry the morning coffee is starting to kick in...
Sorry I should be more careful with my use of words - when I say "tons" what I really mean is lots of coverage, i.e. much of my base has epoxy on it, if not most of it, but the layer of epoxy is so incredibly thin (it's been pressed at nearly 60,000lb after all) that it's no big deal. It just looks bad if I've pigmented the epoxy, it can be shocking when I first pull the ski from the press. A few quick swipes on the base grinder, and its all gone.
I was just busting your balls. ;) I've gotta get me one of those base grinders, o why o why do they have to be a "billion" dollars?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Mine was only $100 (and a few months of restoration work...). Sometimes you get lucky on Craigslist!
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

twizzstyle wrote:Mine was only $100 (and a few months of restoration work...). Sometimes you get lucky on Craigslist!
you think i can talk him down to $100 ;-)
http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/3518791074.html
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dang, stone and belt.... *drool*

I love that at $5000, it's "perfect for home use" :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

skimann20 wrote:
twizzstyle wrote:Mine was only $100 (and a few months of restoration work...). Sometimes you get lucky on Craigslist!
Cost more than $100 in beer for your buddies to help you move it. ;)
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

skidesmond wrote:
skimann20 wrote:
Cost more than $100 in beer for your buddies to help you move it. ;)
I agree!!!
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Has anyone looked at this video from factory tour:

I really like what he did with the power planner to profile the sidewalls. From the best I can figure he leveled half the feed side with the backside and runs this on the core. I know crisp was looking into something like this. I wonder if he did it? I think this could improve and speed up core profiling.

The other part I liked is his side wall profiler. Looks like modified his router so it has two posts the board rides against them and the bit rides in between it:

I think some tinkering is still needed in the basement!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

some neat stuff, but you're telling me that IPOD is throwing switch double 12's in a pipe with a vac bagged and hand ground deck?

If that's true then I know for a fact that i'm on the right path :)
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

and was that core planed with that hand power planer? surfboard style?
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

and he heat treated the edges to make them hand bendable/dingable. I guess if the board never sees rocks or rails or liftlines... should be fine!
Doug
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

skimann20 wrote:Has anyone looked at this video from factory tour:

I really like what he did with the power planner to profile the sidewalls. From the best I can figure he leveled half the feed side with the backside and runs this on the core. I know crisp was looking into something like this. I wonder if he did it? I think this could improve and speed up core profiling.

The other part I liked is his side wall profiler. Looks like modified his router so it has two posts the board rides against them and the bit rides in between it:

I think some tinkering is still needed in the basement!
yup I saw that video but didn't pick up on the power planer. I liked the "ghetto" use of the router. Creative!
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Fawk!!!

I'm going to need someone to test my skis. I'm out till next year! Blew all four quads doing a power clean.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Dang dude. What's a power clean? Hope that didnt happen while vacuming!
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Dtrain wrote:Dang dude. What's a power clean? Hope that didn't happen while vacuming!
lol. thanks man O i wish is was something like that. It's an Olympic weightlifting technique. Surgeon said it was a "freak" accident for someone at my age. I'm out for 6mounths to a year. arrrgghhhh

MRI image:
vinman

Post by vinman »

Nice ruptured quad tendon!! Now you are in my field of expertise. 3 months of babying the repair, and another 6-9 months of rebuilding your quad strength. I know guys that have ruptured both a few years apart.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com