Ski building awesomeness 12/13

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Richuk: Im curious as to why you think a straight at an angle is better that a dove tail. I don't see a difference. I do a two step process. I first go over with a straight bit/bearing setup to flatten the sidewall. This would be the lower sidewall. Then the upper side wall I use a dovetail with a bushing guide:

Vinman: I know! I go to ski shops and drool over their nice shinny sidewalls. I've tried polishing them with a flame but get freaked out its going to melt the top sheet just like twiz was saying.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I still use a dovetail cutter myself ... but these are the issues:

- the cutter isn't designed for this type of cut, it's a slot cutter.
- once you start cutting into the sidewall, you're asking the neck of the cutter (where the diameter of the cutter blade is at its minimum) to clear away as much debris as the largest section of the blade. Yet it is rotating at a slower speed than the blade at the maximum diameter of the cutter.
- the horizontal edge of the cutter nearest the neck isn't as sharp (usually) as the rest of the blade and as soon as the blade become rounded at the intersection of the horizontal edge and the angled edge, then you are asking it to take up the slack and cut.

A straight flute and a router with an angled base deals with all the above issues, a straight flute is easier to handle when sharpening, less costly.

When do you grind the edges during your process?
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Okay I'm busting at the seams.... Picked up three new toys tonight. They all fit on a 12x6 trailer. Pictures tomorrow. Awwwyeah!
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

I named it Papa Smurf:

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Im jealous
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Cool thing number two:
artski

Post by artski »

Those are very cool things.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Cool thing number three:

Cool thing number four: I'm not making snowboards but I might now ;-)
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

CNC in da house! Great score!
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

FigmentOriginal wrote:CNC in da house! Great score!
woot! woot!

Ya i'm really excited about it. I was amazed as to how heavy it is. Its gotta be in the 300-400lb range at the minimum. I was thinking "ehh all aluminum frame this should be easy to load" then I tried to pick a side up, granted i only have one functional leg, and was like "holy crap"!

There seems to be a lot of YouTube videos and forums on the cad and control system for it. (BOBCAD and Mach3) which is good. Because when he was explaining to me how to use it, I was a deer in the headlights. But then I watched a few YouTube videos and they were almost verbatim to what he said. Sweet.

This CNC was exactly what I was looking for, the only modification that I would like to make to it would be a slightly longer screw on the X. but... don't we all ;) I'm not sure where to find one and all signs on Google point to china.

Few questions for you CNC owners:
1.) Do you cut your base (outline with a drag knife or router bit?
2.) Do you pull vacuum through a sheet of MDF (what thickness) or do you have channels that you plug up?

on a side note... I think my signature should be something like "X dollars spent, y beers given out, 0 dollars made".

Happy January 110th! spring blahhhh.
Last edited by skimann20 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

vin and twiz, I'v been pouring over the videos and seeing if there is something special they are doing with their sidewalls. The best I've come up with is this:

It looks like Moment puts a wedge under their sidewall sander at the same degree the sidewall profiller is at.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I cut my bases with a homemade drag knife. I bought an $8 carbide drill blank on mcmaster and ground it to the best knife shape I could. I just stick that in the router chuck, and don't turn the router on. Works great.

I hold everything down with machinist clamps, and an array of t-nuts on my spoil board. For thin stuff like base material, I cover the base material in vinyl application tape, and then spray glue it down to some MDF, which then gets clamped. It's not ideal, and a bit time consuming, but works great so I'm sticking with it.

Congrats on the toys, you got some good stuff! The dust collection on the CNC is a must!

Don't forget to run grounding wire to the dust collector!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

skimann20 wrote:Cool thing number three:

Cool thing number four: I'm not making snowboards but I might now ;-)
now i've gone from annoyed to down right angry, my face is actually red.

I was supposed to pick all of this stuff up this upcoming friday.

Not your fault though, congrats on the score... you got a lot of stuff for little money :).

sorry, i actually have to take a break and cool off now, i'll be fine later after a few beers ;), cheers good luck with the machinery!
Doug
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

WOW all in one spot!!!!??? I wish i could come across a base grinder up here.

Is the base grinder operational?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

That grinder was gonna go to Bean Snowboards as well...
at least that's what we were lead to believe.
I offered the guy to give him a hefty down payment prior to hopping on a train, staying at a hotel, and booking a uhaul, and he assured me that it was no problem and not to worry about the $. If he said "you need to get her asap" i would have called out of work.

oh well... just means i'm gonna end up with a better cnc ;).
but you got a ton of stuff for cheap right there. Hope it works out.
Doug