Cornice Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Cornice

Cornice Skis

Post by Cornice »

Cornice skis... uhhh because the lady thinks i need a name for these shenanigans. so there. taken yet?

What was i thinking?!!!! :?

I hope i can add something to the forum as it has been crucial so far. The workmanship and dedication that some folks put into this hobby, business, whatever amazes the hell out of me the more i read and i can only hope to come anywhere near duplicating it.

The goal is to build skis! Still no skis at this point but i am learning wood working and ski tooling building. They should rename this site skitoolers not skibuilders. When do i get to build skis already?

I started this madness January 2012. No time for skibuilding this summer but i just started up again last week. Muhaha sick days... Maybe this winter will suck but in Anchorage, Alaska the winters really never suck.

I dont really know where this is all going. I have yet to press a ski. Will post some pictures soon.

Thanks world of SKI/ BOARD builders...
OAC

Post by OAC »

We know where it's going! :D
Welcome!
falls

Post by falls »

As has been said before - welcome to the asylum
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

hehe.... another one got sucked in. This is like a big therapy group, we're here for ya. But honestly good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress. Everything you need to know is here, some where. :)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Welcome! You'll love it, there's no turning back!

And you're absolutely right, probably 50% of the time is spent just building tooling, gathering materials, and planning things. 5% is spent doing the layup. 35% is spent fixing your mistakes, questioning why you got into this, gasping at the amount of money you've spent, and crying in the corner.

But skiing on your own skis? Always worth it.
ace skis

Post by ace skis »

hey i Lived in anchorage for the past 15 years i just moved to reno but if you want i may know some people that would be happy to help you out for your first pair.
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

twizzstyle wrote:And you're absolutely right, probably 50% of the time is spent just building tooling, gathering materials, and planning things. 5% is spent doing the layup. 35% is spent fixing your mistakes, questioning why you got into this, gasping at the amount of money you've spent, and crying in the corner.
... and then you still have 10% for reading the skibuilders forum. :-)

Cheers and good luck!
Christoph
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Thanks for the welcome!

ACE- Are there others building skis in the area? Its too late for help now they should have talked me out of it in about January when i started. MUHAHA

Will post pictures as soon as the admin no longer thinks im an spamer.
ace skis

Post by ace skis »

Cornice wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

ACE- Are there others building skis in the area? Its too late for help now they should have talked me out of it in about January when i started. MUHAHA

Will post pictures as soon as the admin no longer thinks im an spamer.
oh thought this was a new post my bad but yes i know a few send me a pm if your interested
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

skibuilding is like brewing beer.
Cleanliness is close to godliness and 90% is prep.
Actually assembling the ski and pressing it is drinking time for fun and enjoyment.
Icing on the cake basically.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Where to start where to start....

To start i had to buy wood working tools. I did not even have tools to build a bench. Wow table saws, routers, and planers are dangerous. If i can get through the first pair of skis with all my fingers i will be amazed. Building cores seamed like the eas

Lowes was a convenient place to buy Poplar but expensive. I also had to visit the two stores and sift through everything to find some decent ski lumber.

I only had a few pipe clamps and a load of quick clamps. I have since purchased more of the pipe clamps. The pipes keep everything square and get WAY tighter.
I poly glued the whole mess and wet one side pre glue up. It is worth wetting both sides?

Re sawing cores was not very easy. I cut all the way through the second pass and did not end up with very flat cuts. I ended up with three good cores. I planed on sacrificing the first two for test setup anyways.

Cornice

Post by Cornice »

After building cores i gave up on that process. Profiling the cores seemed very difficult. I didn't own a router or planer yet, so i moved on to the press build.

I made a quick video of the press build.

http://youtu.be/pbDA5O2rMk0

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Wow, after reading you say things like you've never used wood tools before, I was expecting a pretty dodgy press. But quite to the contrary, that's one of the cleanest and most well built presses I've seen! Nice work!

And perhaps more importantly... You have snow already?????
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Thanks twiz!! Yeah don't know jack about wood but work on aircraft full time so know a bit about building metal stuffs.
No snow yet. I started the press in February 2012 and finished it in April 2012. I am just now getting to document this all.
falls

Post by falls »

Nice.
Man you've had that press sitting idle since april! That would be killing you :(
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....