Cornice Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Just dropped them off at REI for a grind. Will see how they turn out. My least favorite part for sure.

The top sheet is a really light weight triax carbon. I was not sure how it was going to look and i had planed to double it up but just one layer on top of the glass.
I like the scotchbrite top sheet de-tune idea. Thanks!
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Trying to figure out where i went wrong with these skis...
Pressed with a flat camber mold i got about 6mm of camber with the skis together. I also lost about 15mm of rocker in the tip. They still skied great in the pow... turned out allot like my old line prophet 130.
It had to be too much heat from the bottom right? My heat probe on the top aluminum sheet. Will 5, 10, 20 degrees do that? How much heat diff does it take?
falls

Post by falls »

Yeah any difference in heat will affect camber. Even 5-10 degrees.
I dont think from reading other people's experiences that you can really get away with one thermocouple and one controller for 2 blankets. Each blanket operates in its own environment and needs it own temp measurment and control to ensure even heating top and bottom.
At the very least you want to be able to measure heat on top and bottom and turn the blanket off for a while it one side is running away from the other.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

I can't speak for temperature difference effecting camber of a ski but I can tell you that the top and bottom blankets will ramp in temp very differently. I have to hold back my bottom temperature controller because my top blanket is so "slow". (my cat track acts as a giant heat sink, I need to insulate it more from the blanket)

My suggestion is to run a few dry runs.
1.) run it with the temperature probe in the bottom and time it.
2.) run it with the temperature probe in the top and time it.

You'll be able to see how much faster the bottom is heating than the top.

Then you'll determine that you really need two controllers/thermal couples if you are going to run two blankets.
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Made a really terrible video with even worse music but still fun.
The first ride on my second pair of skis was AMAZING. They are soo much fun on a big open powder run like this. Pretty funny that nothing can turn out right on a ski and they are still a dream ride. I also spend allot of time looking down at my skis and not paying any attention to where im going on the first ride.
https://vimeo.com/62808157
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Great video!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i live in NJ, i cant sleep at night after watching vids where all there is is snow... everywhere... :(

awesome vid
Doug