Section8 2012-2013

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Soon to be seen in every good ski shop!!!
vinman

Post by vinman »

I want to dye some veneer black and use some punk style pyramid rivets in the tip and tail with some sort of silver foil stamp graphic.

Black top, base, tip fill, sidewall and silver accents, full on punk/metal style.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Love the idea of the glitter. I bet that will look great in the sun!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yea hoping the crystals and glitter really sparkle on a nice sunny day. Rich... someday... :-) Vinman that would look great in a snow park, totally kick ass, you might even have to wear a black leather jacket with studs and a black skull helmet.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Hey thanks for reminding me I bought some glitter last year thinking I'd put it on a ski and totally forgot :(

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

The glitter should remind you of those days when snow crystal are in the air. I think SD has come up with something really special adding the crystal to the eyes. Luminous base material reflecting back into the snow and you're skis could be used to ward off evil spirits : ))) If I ever head down this road SD, I'm sending you royalties.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Richuk wrote:The glitter should remind you of those days when snow crystal are in the air. I think SD has come up with something really special adding the crystal to the eyes. Luminous base material reflecting back into the snow and you're skis could be used to ward off evil spirits : ))) If I ever head down this road SD, I'm sending you royalties.

Ok Rich, I will gladly accept them :-)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Finally got some real ski building time during the last couple weeks. I got caught up in some experimenting.

These are all mountain skis:
178cm
ski dims 125-82-108
Core dims 3-11-3
Core weight 872 grams each w/o tip and tail spacer
Poplar wood core
Ipe sidewall
20oz Triaxial FG
4001 Durasurf Base
Metal edges
Cork.
Blingify - added crystals to the skulls eye sockets
Resin Research Epoxy (Project 21 2040/2100F)
Final weight 1614grams and 1628 grams, very pleased, that's 1/2ounce difference.

Typical layup process. I used the cork to fill the space between the metal edges. The thickness of the cork matched the thickness of the edge tangs. No need to route a channel out in the wood core. The bases came out dead flat.

First time using Resin Research epoxy. I had been using QCM (now Forrester) which worked fine. I switch mostly because Resin Reseacrh ships from FL so it's east coast and it's cheaper. Resin Research is thinner and wets out very well. Very pleased with it.

Ipe is a very hard dense wood. About 3 times harder than ash or maple. Should make for a very good sidewall.

Poplar- I tried poplar this time to create a lighter ski. The skis feel light but a bit on the soft side from my other skis. I'll wait till I ski them before I decide to make another ski with polar again. I contemplated adding a 3in wide strip of 9oz carbon fiber but thought it would be way to stiff, also the CF would have messed up the top sheet :-) because of the white background, the CF would have shown through.

I put a 15degree bevel on the sidewall.

When I flexed the core before layup it felt firm, so I thought...., and since Ipe is such a hard wood I thought it would firm up the core. Hope to ski on them this weekend and will report on them in the Test and Trip Report.

They need a coat epoxy and poly, base grind, waxing, bindings. And then add snow!

Sorry only 1 pic. Camera battery died. I'll add more after the battery is re-charged.

More pics:

The edge on the front ski tip looks messed up but it's not. I don't know if it's a shadow or maybe the light coat of epoxy I just put on started to run. I'll re-check.

Forgot to mention, the skis were supposed to have a a teak veneer for a topsheet. When I rolled out the veneer it was only a 162cm. I could have spliced it but I'll hold onto for a pair of short skis for somebody.
Last edited by skidesmond on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I love the idea of cork! With so many people complaining about edge rabbits lately, that would be a much easier solution.

Did you put the cork directly on the base, or put the fiberglass down with the cork on top?

Beautiful skis!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks Twizz. I put the cork directly on the base followed by VDS and FG. No cork above the core. It will be interesting to see if it gives the ski any dampening characteristics. My guess is not much since it's so thin. It's more of a filler.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Nice work, nice work indeed! Love the sparing use of glitter, I'm sure that will turn some eyes and start conversations on the lift lines.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

skidesmond wrote:Thanks Twizz. I put the cork directly on the base followed by VDS and FG. No cork above the core. It will be interesting to see if it gives the ski any dampening characteristics. My guess is not much since it's so thin. It's more of a filler.
This a great idea. I was trying to think of something to use as filler... Then I read this. Too cool!
artski

Post by artski »

Great idea using the cork, but where do you find it?
Cool looking skis by the way!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

artski wrote:Great idea using the cork, but where do you find it?
Cool looking skis by the way!
Got the cork here, oops there's actually a .2mm difference between the edge tang and the cork. I measured the cork I had in a few places and it varies slightly from .6 to .8mm .... so not quite as exact as I thought but any little gap will get filled in by VDS, FG and epoxy.

http://www.corkstore.com/Products/Cork- ... heet-0-8mm
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I love that graphic. Veneer looks great but I think you found a winner there.

I like your idea of the cork filler. I never got around to ordering any since my skis dampened up from changing the wood in the core and the stiffness.

Make sure to give us the long term report regarding dampening, any bonding issues, etc.

How did the tools handle the Ipe? I've only used it once and that was for decking and I remember breaking lots of drill bits.