Section8 2012-2013

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

Post by OAC »

Very nice Steve! They almost look tatooed.. :-)
They will deliver, both on the hill and at After Ski! :-)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Dr. Delam wrote:I love that graphic. Veneer looks great but I think you found a winner there.

I like your idea of the cork filler. I never got around to ordering any since my skis dampened up from changing the wood in the core and the stiffness.

Make sure to give us the long term report regarding dampening, any bonding issues, etc.

How did the tools handle the Ipe? I've only used it once and that was for decking and I remember breaking lots of drill bits.
All the tools handled the Ipe ok (table saw, router, planer...). The jig saw however was a different story. I went through 3 blades trimming the flashing and started on a 4th. The thickest part of the core really took it's toll on the blades. I used an 8-12 tpi blade which I normally can use for 2 skis. I burned through that one and had to run out and get more blades. I bought 10tpi blades (8 of them) and used 2 more.

It sanded out nice and the router trimmed it nicely.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Nice looking skis, and a fun twist using the bling in the eyes. :)

I'm also interested in the Ipe, how is it compared to bamboo? how does it handle water?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Well I have 3 full days of skiing on them so very little abuse. So far the ipe is holding up fine. I'm assuming ipe should handle water ok since the wood has almost no movement when used in decking and left exposed to the elements, one of the reasons why I chose it. I'll be keeping an eye on the durability through out the season.

I've haven't tried bamboo.