Anniversary Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

agiocochook

Anniversary Skis

Post by agiocochook »

I was asked to make a pair of skis to be given to the husband by the wife as an anniversary present. Initially, it was going to be a 1940's pin-up girl design, but then the wife changed her mind and hired a photographer......
I have to wonder what kind of comments he's going to get in the lift-line...and I'm not sure which will be more awkward....comments from guys that know it's his wife, or comments from those who don't....

A couple other recent pairs:

The guy that got these commissioned a local watercolor artist to paint a somewhat stylized Tetons reflecting in a lake scene, which we then scanned and had sublimated on a topsheet. Please ignore the router divots in the sidewall....was trying a new technique and.....

Tabloid skis.

The view of Mt Washington from my deck (on my deck with the view obscured by clouds.....).
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Forgot the Squid Sticks....
ace skis

Post by ace skis »

I like the newspaper ones! What did you use to press your skis?
Dtrain

scapbook

Post by Dtrain »

Ya, are those newspaper skis sublimated or are they actual scraps cut and put under a clear topsheet. All your skis look great!
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Thanks, but the only credit I can claim is the photo for the Mt Washington skis. My business-to-be (or not to be, that is the question...) partner has handled all the graphics. The newspaper collage was put together by the guy who got the skis and sublimated by CODA.

I've been using a vacuum press. Not enough room presently for a pneumatic press.

Scott
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Latest pair...
KOA veneer with the graphic sublimated to the underside of a clear topsheet. The sidewalls are wood with two coats of epoxy. When I beveled the sidewalls, I also rabbeted them a 1/32", which I then "backfilled" with the epoxy.
MontuckyMadman

Re: Anniversary Skis

Post by MontuckyMadman »

agiocochook wrote:I was asked to make a pair of skis to be given to the husband by the wife as an anniversary present. Initially, it was going to be a 1940's pin-up girl design, but then the wife changed her mind and hired a photographer......
I have to wonder what kind of comments he's going to get in the lift-line...and I'm not sure which will be more awkward....comments from guys that know it's his wife, or comments from those who don't....
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

agiocochook wrote:Latest pair...
KOA veneer with the graphic sublimated to the underside of a clear topsheet. The sidewalls are wood with two coats of epoxy. When I beveled the sidewalls, I also rabbeted them a 1/32", which I then "backfilled" with the epoxy.
beautiful.

adding epoxy to the outside of the sidewalls is a mistake IMO. Epoxy is not UV resistant and is also not a good material for that application. I expect it will yellow and crack.

But, only time will tell.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Super nice looking skis. I agree with DB though, I think epoxy, especially thin epoxy will likely crack or chip off.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Thanks MM. Other wives are starting to talk...might turn into a...ummmm...cash-cow.

Yeah, the epoxy is an experiment. On previous wood sidewalls I've just used a couple coats of spar-urethane. I'd like something a little more finished looking, tho, and also easier to color....the epoxy is WS 105/205. I'm also going to try an epoxy coating from Forrest Paint (19S100/10K011). I'm batting about .500 on getting plastic sidewalls through the planer without shards flying, so looking for alternatives. The application of the epoxy, at least, was real easy and the finish (albeit, pre-use) is the best of any sidewalls I've done.

Scott
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

BTW, I got a notice that Blank Slate is going to start offering phenolic sidewall material. Anybody use that?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow Great looking skis, all of them! Great idea of the graphics on the clear top sheet over the veneer. As for the anniversary skis.... Wow. Could make for some awkward moments but could lead to more skis too and modeling gigs for her.
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

Agi,

I have machined alot of phenolic resin....no skis built to date yet. It is similar to many hardwoods when cut.

I've found that it chips fairly easily when milling so watch out for breakout when routing.

Alot of fine dust is produced but nothing worse than grindging glass as the fibres are usually cotton

It has a grainy finish so sidewalls would look pretty cool.

JT
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

big debate on whether or not the dynastar legend pros actually have a phenolithic sidewall or if it was mistranslated from french.
The tgr guys seem to think no way, its just wood but with so many different types of phenolithic material composite i would go with what dynastar say it is.
I would love to try it. Cotton fibers sound no bueno for sidewalls however.
phelonic

google does not know this word.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Came across this stuff while searching for phenolic resin,
http://www.fiberesin.com/Products/Stonewood.aspx

It's water proof and can be used in many applications where wood is used and water proof. However it's very heavy, 4'x8'x1/2" panel weighs 109lbs.

Now, where to find it. If its the stuff I'm thinking of, the cabinet shop I had my templates CNC'ed used some kind of resin type of material in cabinetry. The search continues.....