Anniversary Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Interesting find SD. Thought you might be interested in this doc:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf20 ... ach002.pdf

p432 for melamine impregnation
p435-6 comparative tables

The underlying processes were developed/popularised during WWII.

Melamine impregnation and compression is very do-able, so it sounds like Dynastar have taken the next step and set up a small Impreg process. It would increase the over-all weight of the wood, but not too much. I understand 'Beech' is a great wood, if pressure is being applied during the process.

Too far down this road and you end up with Compreg, which is a very dense material. Planks of this are made using wood veneer ... looks like you have found a derivative of this process SD.

I did a bit of testing last season using Methyll Machacrylate, the results were OK, but not usable. Ended up going in a different direction, with good results.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I wonder how much a full 4x8x 1/2 sheet of UHMWPE sidewall weighs? I bet it is not too much lighter. A 10.25 x 70 sheet weights about 12-15 lbs. my epoxy scale goes up to 11 lbs and the sheet weighs more than that.

So I'm guess a full 4x 8 sheet would weigh out at 75-80 lbs or so.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

FYI

Cotton based phenolic resin has been used for years in the marine industry.

Cutlass bearings (what the tail shaft runs through before the prop on an inboard boat) are also often made from it.

It also makes a supeb electrical inuslator.

Weight for a 1/2"x4'x8' sheet is about 111lbs compared to UHMW @ 78lbs and ABS @ 86lbs

Below are links to some mechanical property charts...its pretty strong with the grain like wood so I could imagine it used by Dynastar.

Have a laugh and look at some of the different base materials available in Phenolic....in particular water absorbsion for the paper based.....nearly half of the Fine Weave Fabric which is what I have used for cutlass bearings :)

UHMW
http://www.redwoodplastics.com/brochure ... ERTIES.pdf

ABS
http://www.redwoodplastics.com/brochure ... ERTIES.pdf

Phenolic Resin
http://www.redwoodplastics.com/files/we ... ERTIES.pdf

JT
Damon

Post by Damon »

Hmm, agio - do you have a link to the product?

If it's what I think it is (Phenolic), I'd be interested in trying that material as sidewall, it's fairly dense, I'd imagine good compressive properties.

http://www.ides.com/info/generics/31/Phenolic-Phenolic

And to get back on topic (kind of), you should be able to find UV resistant epoxy if you want to go that route on the sidewall finishing. Great looking skis!
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Sorry to be out of the loop...I don't have a link for the phenolic sidewalls, just a notice that came with a Blank Slate order saying it's a new product they'll be adding. It also said they're changing name and website to maidenskis.com, but it doesn't look like it's up yet.

Scott
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

BTW, here's a link to Kastle: http://www.kaestle-ski.com/en/techcenter/innovations/ They offer both Phenol and ABS sidewalls.
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

These are a graduation present for the daughter of a friend. She's a racer-girl (likely member of the '13/'14 US women's alpine team), so we decided to go with something completely different...... They're similar to the Black Diamond Amps.

vinman

Post by vinman »

They look sweet, nice work.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Thanks, Vinman. Too late, I realized that the front binding mount is probably going to fall right on top of the summit on the right ski.....
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Smoke and fire...
..actually, all fire...just in black & white except the logos.

I'm doing a sidewall test with these. The outside sidewalls are wood with two coats tinted WS epoxy. The inside sidewalls are one coat tinted epoxy and two coats Forrest Paint 19S100/10K011 epoxy finish coat, which is UV resistant and I'm hoping won't crack
mattman

Post by mattman »

hey, another builder in the whites! Where are you at? We build skis (and other random projects) in Littleton and ski Cannon.
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Been a while, so thought I'd catch up a bit....

ImageImage

Local artist Randy Rackcliff and psychedelic mermaid. Both are 176 length and 134/94/119.

ImageImage

The left pair was auctioned at a fundraiser for the Mt Mansfield Ski club - highest bid, 1500!! - and the right were for my daughter, a big Audrey Hepburn fan. The auction pair are 176.5 length and 132/98//118 and the Breakfast at Tiffany's pair are 162 and 121/92/117.

ImageImage

Tahoe pic and skis for a ski patrol lifer. Tahoes are 185 length and 126/89/110 with 1.5 over 15 tip rocker and the ski patrols are 181 length and 134/94/119 with 2 over 20 tip rocker.

ImageImage

Left pair were a 9th grade school project and the right were for my other biz's website guy - Super Mario, natch... Both are 162 length and 121/92/117.

ImageImage

Crying fish on the left and the right are all the concert tickets saved by a buddy of mine. CF are 180 and 118/85/109 and the ticket skis are 177 and 131/96/114 with 2 over 20 tip rocker.

ImageImage

Jackson, WY artist and skeletrees over a cherry veneer. The Jackson skis are 181 length and 141/113/128 with 2 over 20 tip rocker and the skeletrees are 166 and 132/99/123 with 1.3 over 13 tip rocker.

ImageImage

Ravens over olivewood veneer and Van Gogh's Starry Night. The Ravens are 181 length and 134/94/119 with 2 over 20 tip rocker and the Van Goghs are 168.5 length and 114/81/105.

ImageImage

Second pair of anniversary skis and not sure how to describe the pair on the right.... Anniversary's are 185 length and 130/100/120 with 1.5 over 15 tip rocker and the others are 178 length and 134/96/119 with 1.5 over 15 tip rocker and 0.8 over 9.2 tail rocker.

Purple swirls are 168.5 length and 114/81/105.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Love the Starry Nights! Great work...those are some good looking skis.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Nice work. Whats this 2 over 20 rocker? What are you measureing here?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.