WhiteRoom 2012/13

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice veneer!
vinman

Post by vinman »

Got another pair nearly ready to press and got most of the top sheet done.

This is a cross between a snowflake and a maple leaf. It is a rough approximation of Jay Peak's logo, where the guy this pair is for skis.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

You're skis are truly beautiful!

Can you help me with something? I'm about to laminate some cores this month....

You're one of the many people I've seen using Maple near the bindings. I understand the logic, but I struggle with the modulus numbers... Are you using yellow poplar and red maple? Is it a stiffness thing or just an overall strength thing?
vinman

Post by vinman »

Thanks.

It's mostly a binding retention thing.

Lots of big companies use woods softer then maple in their cores and they hold screws just fine but I like the idea of my bindings being held in place by good hard wood.

I don't have a lot of data on what types of wood do what in a core but the maple is strong, stiff and dense while the poplar is lighter. It seemed like a good mix of woods but I really don't have much to base that on except some big companies and other guys on here use these woods also.

Almost all of my cores have some cherry and mahogany this year also, so I'll have to wait a few months to see how those feel.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I finally got back in the shop to press a pair today. This was the pair that I had posted about that had come out too thin in the core.

I ended up adding a 1.5inch strip of 11oz carbon on the top and bottom with 4 extra strands of 3K carbon tow top and bottom. The bottoms also got 8 strands of basalt tow in an X pattern between the contact points at the bases of the rocker

We had a leak in the bladder again but this time it held enough pressure as long as we babysat it. I guess I have to tear it apart again before Sunday's layup.

Anyway these skis came out of the press nearly perfect. As for stiffness they came out pretty stiff. Probably the stiffest pair I've ever built. The guy they are for loved how they felt. Very stoked on this as we were afraid they would be too soft due to the thin cores.

As for weight, we are just about on target. After being rough cut out of the laminate they weighed about 4.75 lbs. per ski. There is a lot of excess material still in place so I think they will come in about 4.25 lbs per pair give or take a couple oz. once things get trimmed and profiled down.

30 cm rocker in the tip with ~9cm of rise and 30 cm rocker in the tail with ~3cm rise. 4mm camber under foot. yellow birch top sheet.

180cm with dimensions of 127/132/107/114/106

vinman

Post by vinman »

2nd pair in 3 days

This is a 175 cm Ski with 30 cm rocker in the tip and 25 in the tail, 4 mm camber underfoot. Dimensions 123/129/104/113/107.

These weigh out at 3 lbs 14oz. They will be the first skis I've made mounted tele and the first for a female skier. This was a simple lay up with only 19 oz glass, no carbon. We used a 11.4mm core, as she wanted a ski on the soft side.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

that an epoxy coat or a poly? Looks heavy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Poly coat over skim coat of epoxy on left. Epoxy skim coat only on right. I put the first poly coat on somewhat heavy to give a smooth base before I wet sand. Subsequent poly coats are thinner.
amidnightproject

Awesome. must just be the light then.

I've started doing a similar method and I like the way it comes out.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Pressed the 6th pair for the season yesterday.

185 cm 128/136/111/119/111 35 tip rocker, 30 cm tail rocker, 4 mm camber

Core profile 2.2-12.2.2, 19 oz glass with 4 strands of 3k carbon tow, top and bottom. The flex feels stiff but not too stiff.

9 lbs for the pair. Difference of 1 1/8 oz between the skis.

7cm tip rise and 25mm tail rise. Rise in tip and tail is within 1-2mm from floor to base.

Layup I went great, bladder leak is finally under control, not solved but under control....
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Way to crank em out. Looking beautiful!
amidnightproject

Looks great!
vinman

Post by vinman »

Pressed another pair today. This is the 7th of 11 pair for this season. This is the same shape I pressed last week.

185 cm 128/136/111/119/111 35 tip rocker, 30 cm tail rocker, 4 mm camber

Core profile 2.2-11.6 .2.2, 19 oz glass with 5 strands of 3k carbon tow, top and bottom.

This one definitely came out a noticeably softer especially in the tip.

I did something new in the tip spacer area this time. I added about 2 inches of some scrap glass over the joints around the interlock style tip spacers to strengthen the joint and to help flatten the transitions. It worked fairly well but there was still a very slight depression at the tip spacer joint in the base.

Crappy cell phone pics, sorry.

An unintended bonus is the sunburst is symmetrical on both the right and left.

I recently stumbled on using a surform shaper to cut down some of the excess sidewall after cutting the skis out with the jig saw. It works pretty well. I had to try this as I had worn out all of my 36 grit belts and needed to take more material down. It is not hard to take just the right amount of material away before hitting the sidewalls with the router. I'll be using this tool from now on.

Last edited by vinman on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

gorgeous !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
OAC

Post by OAC »

Great work on the intarsia! ...and the skis! :)