WhiteRoom 2012/13

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

Thanks, this pair rally came out nice, not just the tops. All measurements were pretty much spot on, less than 1 mm of difference in tip/tail rise. 1 oz difference between skis.

weight was 4 lbs 4 oz and 4 lbs 5 oz

try veneer softener on burls and other stiff brittle stuff, works great. You need a couple days drying time before pressing though.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
vinman

Post by vinman »

less than 2 oz difference between skis in the pair. 8.5lbs for the pair. vitals: 178cm, 30 cm tip rocker with reverse side cut, traditional sidecut all the way to the mini flair in the tail. 4mm camber underfoot. 153 cm running lenght. 125-132-105-119. This might be close to a one ski, do it all, quiver killer.

Rise in the tip and tail was less than 1 mm different. Once they sit overnight we'll see how stiff they feel. We were going for a medium flex. I used a 2.2-11.5-2.2mm core with 19oz glass, 4 strings of 3K carbon on top and bottom and 4 strings of 3K basalt on an x pattern from the rocker to the tail to beef up the torsional stiffness to improve edge hold.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I ended up building a 12th pair for this build season. For some as yet unknown reason 1 pair had binding screw retention issues. I haven't had an opportunity to examine the skis yet so I don't know what the real issue is yet.

But anyway I rebuilt this guys pair it was the same ski but with a redesigned core, 19 oz glass with an extra layer of 22 oz triax under the binding mount area, 18 strings of 3k carbon and 12 strings of 3k Basalt running on an able between the contact points to beef up torsional properties. The binding mat glass was tapered to a point to avoid a stress riser and feather the flex pattern.

35cm rocker reverse up front, 4mm camber and sidecut underfoot and 30cm rocker-reverse in the tail. 185cm 130-140-116-124-116.

2.2-11.5-2.2mm core

These ended up weighing exactly the same at 5lbs 1/4oz per ski.

The guy here are for weighs about 240ish and is a strong skier. The flex feels beefy even with the thin ish core due to the extra carbon and extra binding mat.

There area small defect in the sidewall. I piece of MDF that I used as a core alignment block somehow got chipped off and stuck between the sidewall and the base layer of glass. I had to grind this out with a fine point dremel bit and refill it with some epoxy. It measured about 1/2 inch by 2mm by ~3mm deep. It sealed up fine and I don't think it will pose an issue.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

Vinman wrote:18 strings of 3k carbon and 12 strings of 3k Basalt running on an able between the contact points to beef up torsional properties.
could you enlighten me on what the 3K carbon and 3K basalt is? Are they "strings" of Carbon? Haven't seen these on my searches.

Thanks.

O and by the way they look awesome!
vinman

Post by vinman »

I have remnant of a 3K carbon and basalt hybrid fabric. carbon on the 0 deg abd basalt on the 90. I pull individual bundles of carbon tow or basalt tow out of the weave and lay them into the layup. This lets me selectively stiffen the laminate without worrying about a finite thickness like a 2-3 inch wide piece of carbon would.

3K references to how many individual strands of carbon are in each bundle in the fabric. Carbon usually comes in 1, 3,6,9,12,24 and 50 K .

You can buy carbon tow like this as well. I'll likely buy some 6k tow this season so I won't have to spend so much time pulling bundled out of the fabric weave.