Infinity Customs

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

infinityskis

Infinity Customs

Post by infinityskis »

Well I have got my press put together and my heat blanket is in progress

I can't wait to start making skis

infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Hey how do I post photos correctly? :?
sammer

Post by sammer »

In photobucket click on the image code, it will show copied
then left click and paste it into your post.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Thank you sammer

much appreciated
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

So far I have made two pairs of skis, but have failed to document the process at all. So here are my first two pairs and the third one in the process.

Also if my pictures don't show up will some one help me post them, thanks

Image[/img]
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

here are the rest of the pictures.

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

I had a bit of an issue with the router, hahahaha

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

What's with the camber? Is it just the picture, or is it that uneven? Intentional?

Also is that masking tape holding your tip spacers in place???
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

haha ya my friend was riding the skis when he hit some crud and the topsheet just delaminated from the chatter. also it was our first pair and they were absolute garbage, we rode them once and now they just sit up in the rafters.

As for the camber of the 2nd pair I never noticed wavyness in the base like that before and it doesn't seem to affect the ride. However our mold was not very flat, so that could have cause the wavy camber.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

just glued up the sidewalls on one of my skis and seemed to go ok, but i have a few questions. Used a heating system of a halogen light and a hair dryer.:D

Do you guys heat your epoxy while gluing up sidewalls ?

How to you keep it from being super messy? cause now my clamps are wrecked and covered in epoxy. :?

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

I find that epoxy is not necessary. I just sand and flame the sidewalls then attach with gorilla glue. It's super strong and expands so it fills all the voids. Any glue outside of what's being clamped foams up and is relatively easy to clean up
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

A few of your photos show quite a few knots in your core timber. You don't want that. You're hand selecting the wood for your core so take the opportunity to pick the best pieces. A knot is pretty much just a plug floating around causing a big weak spot.
You also want to take the time to sort out your press and molds. The camber in those first pairs is all over the place. You need to get the main basics sorted or you will never press a good ski.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Ya im with you on the knots, it's not very good for the flex pattern and durability. But i already have a huge block that i cut my cores out of and I dont want to throw away all that wood. Also I bought that wood from home depot and it's not very high quality and the pieces that have the knots are mostly the pine pieces. And im probably gonna stop using that for cores as they tend to have too many knots.

As for the camber I dont think it matters that much and i couldn't feel it at all. That was because the skis were SUPER flexible( I tail pressed them so hard one time that I fell over backwards :D ) and since they are so flexible, you can hardly notice the wavyness.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

I find that epoxy is not necessary. I just sand and flame the sidewalls then attach with gorilla glue. It's super strong and expands so it fills all the voids. Any glue outside of what's being clamped foams up and is relatively easy to clean up
Wow, thats a great idea i will definetly do that for my next pair. I will still use epoxy for my other ski tho, just to keep it consistent.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I never had great results with gorilla glue. It could be easily pulled off the wood with just my hands and was always iffy when profiling with the planer. Epoxy is a much stronger bond and now with something like 35 pairs of core using sidewall bonded directly to a 6mm hardwood backer. I've had only one failure this way, But this was due to dull planer blades not the epoxy. There is now way to pull the sidewall off the wood with just your hands.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

I never had great results with gorilla glue. It could be easily pulled off the wood with just my hands and was always iffy when profiling with the planer. Epoxy is a much stronger bond and now with something like 35 pairs of core using sidewall bonded directly to a 6mm hardwood backer. I've had only one failure this way, But this was due to dull planer blades not the epoxy. There is now way to pull the sidewall off the wood with just your hands.
Sounds like a good idea, but what exactly is hardwood backer? is it a type of double sided tape??