Mike's build....

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

team08

Post by team08 »

Nice work Mike, looks great! One word of warning though, be careful about temps on the epoxy. I dont know how even you were able to get the heat but you will certainly have issues if parts of the ski cure before others. Any way to get some thermocouples in there? And if you are going to get a CNC, spend the couple hundred for a heat blanket!

There is a referral program for shopbot so if lots of you are going to sign up then let me know so I can get some $$! But really, I can recommend them very highly. Best service out there and great support through them and other users. PLEASE dont go buy some ebay ripoff or chinese crap...
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey Mike,

Wow, quite beautiful. Really nice work. You've done some very creative stuff and have succeeded well with it. Thanks for sharing.

G-man
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

how much does a cnc router cost? also, how can it cut all the way through the piece you are cutting without damaging the table?

oh, and those skis look amazing.
J I B T H E S H I T
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

*ARMADA* wrote:how much does a cnc router cost? also, how can it cut all the way through the piece you are cutting without damaging the table?

oh, and those skis look amazing.
You can look at different sizes and price them out here.

http://www.shopbottools.com/

Mike- Excellent looking project. I really like how clean your whole process is.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I have to reiterate ARMADA's question...how DOES the cnc router cut through the material w/o damaging the table? I have been considering building my own router table for a while now (not a bad project if you have access to a milling machine), but i am not sure about the table. do you use a vac clamp method with risers? how does the piece stay in place and how do you prevent damage to the table underneath the piece?
MLReed05

Post by MLReed05 »

mattman wrote:I have to reiterate ARMADA's question...how DOES the cnc router cut through the material w/o damaging the table? I have been considering building my own router table for a while now (not a bad project if you have access to a milling machine), but i am not sure about the table. do you use a vac clamp method with risers? how does the piece stay in place and how do you prevent damage to the table underneath the piece?
There is a scarificial sheet of MDF that your workpiece sits on. In the picture shown each piece being cutout is screwed to the MDF underneath.