VSC 2011 and on

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

amidnightproject

VSC 2011 and on

Post by amidnightproject »

Well, I've been picking away at skis for a couple years now. Finally upgraded things from an abused wooden press to a neat-o steel one.

Basically I'm making a place holder as my resolution this year is to actually start one of these threads instead of only posting on Google+

I'll be back in awhile with some pics!

- Chris
OAC

Post by OAC »

Oh! A new journal!! :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Hey Chris! Lets see some new skis from that fancy new press :D
amidnightproject

Fancy Schmancy :D

I would have had some pictures last night, buuttt my epoxy crystalized. So now I get to heat up and mix epoxy tonight... Boooo.
amidnightproject

Ok so I've got a few pics and I guess I'll go from here.

This was my first press. All wood. I built the top and bottom beams by gluing and bolting 3/4 advantec together vertically. It weights about 450-ish without the molds in. I've got some more pics floating around elsewhere that I'll put up when I've got time to go get em.

It worked pretty well for about 15 skis or so. And it sounded like an old barn floor when being inflated, cracking and groaning the whole time. It's still standing but I would recommend against it without way more supports in the middle for strength.

Made these on this press.

amidnightproject

Soo after a season of working in a barn (a really cold barn) and pressing in a basement (still kinda cold) I decided I wanted to actually get into ski building a little more. So I decided to shell out for some work space.

Built a new press with heat and all that fun stuff

Decided to search for ISO's 8210 top sheet as I personally feel crowns product is not that great. Found it and it's shiney and more durable...

It's also more clear.

And Brazen Enjoys FIRE

Last edited by amidnightproject on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

:D AND THEN.......
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

nice prayer flags. :D
amidnightproject

doughboyshredder wrote:nice prayer flags. :D
Thanks! I've got another smaller set to string up too. Just haven't got around too it :|

So I had 2 jugs of epoxy crystalize out of no where. Thanks to Rob I was able to figure out what had happened in about 30 minutes. So I fixed the issue with a hot bath of water for about 2 hours and it's almost 100% liquid again.

So since that got taken care of I made a pair of skis earlier tonight.

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

How are you doing the graphics? Is it subbed on the topsheet, or just rice paper?

Regardless, they look great!
amidnightproject

Thanks Twiz!

I do them on an Epson 1400 with the driver hack for length found around here. I'll go back and dig it up to repost because it's damn useful.

I print on 27lb matte paper at 240/300dpi. I was printing on 35lb, but can't find it in a 13" wide roll yet. I just make sure its pressed onto the top layer of glass real well and then put a skim coat of epoxy on top of that before laying up the top sheet.

One of the tricks to little or no bubbles is to make sure you let the ink off gas for 24 hours before you lay it up. Otherwise you can get funky white spots.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

How much more opaque does the 35 lb paper appear after pressing compared to the 27?
amidnightproject

It's pretty much the same unless you are using a super light color or all white on the 27lb. If they are both saturated with ink it looks the same. I just feel the 35lb has better color density. Just my opinion though.

No more pics until tonight. Got side tracked yesterday then hit the gym.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

did you have heat in your wood press
amidnightproject

I did not. It was just ambient room temp. Which on a non zero degree winter day in an unheated basement translated to about 55F. It took 7 hours for a good cure on the epoxy using Entropy room temp cure. Most of the time I would put the ski in and just go to bed. Wake up and its done.