Previous Creations

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Skivolkl

Previous Creations

Post by Skivolkl »

These are a few pictures of some creations I made last summer and fall. I used a wood top sheet on one of the skis and a screen printed topsheet on the other. As you can see from the pictures I had some issues lining up the topsheet during layup. At the time of the pictures I had not put any stain/sealer on the wood veneer skis (woodies). I later stained them with an water proof sealant that seemed to work well. I had recoated them in February (The veneer takes a beating). I used ABS sidewalls on the skis which seemed to work nice. Both of the skis are 180cm long. They very in dimension, I used two different templates. I can't remember what the exact dimensions are I have them written down somewhere. For the most part they are approximatley 85mm under foot and have a 16 and 17 meter radius. The other picture is me skiing the woodies in China Bowl.

hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Cool! tell us more about the screen printed top sheet. My fabric topsheet really faded after some time in the sun. Your red looks very vibrant still. What did you use?
Skivolkl

Screen Printed Topsheet

Post by Skivolkl »

I got the topsheet materail from Dura Surf. I haven't noticed any fade in the color. It seems to stand up to the elements quite well. You have to use a special ink in order for the ink not react with the epoxy. The name brand that comes to mind is NAZDAR. Over all the process went pretty well, however for home building purposes I don't think using this method is very cost effective unless you are going to crank out large amounts of skis with the same design. It took me about 3-weeks before I could find a screen printing shop that was able to print on such a large area (the whole topsheet) and find one that carried the NAZDAR ink and it cost me alot of money to get the work done. In the future I will use fabric or paper graphics like most of the skis on this site (at the time of the build I still had not found the ski builders site).
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I can work out all the screen printing details enough to do that myself... If you can remember some details about the products I'd really appreciate it.

What exactly is the topsheet material you bought from DuraSurf?
What is it's thickness?
Did you have any spectial prep to do before screening it or laying it up?

Thanks a ton!

-J
Skivolkl

Details

Post by Skivolkl »

The specific material I ordered from DuraSurf was: DuraSurf 4001 optimizer. I don't recall what the thickness is and I don't have any scraps leftover to measure. When I ordered it I asked for 10 meters of Topsheet and 10 meters of basematerial. The topsheet materail seems to be at least half as thick as the basematerial. I didn't do anything extremely special before printing, I just made sure the surfaces were clean by wipping them off with a small amount of acetone on a rag. I hope this information helps.
e

Post by e »

Topsheet is .8mm & base is whatever thickness, usually 1.2mm