An ultralight (K skis by the Ski Lab)

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

swild

An ultralight from the Ski Lab

Post by swild »

Just learned that Kam had set up a thread about the K Wilds. I love them. Have skied them in a variety of conditions (but not race course/new england ice.) They ski well everywhere. My only concern is some edge slip on icy groomers, no chatter tho. Dynafit Manaslus were my previous ski and are good too, slightly floppier tip, also no chatter on ice, and slightly better grip. Kam may modify the next version for improved edging.

I like 170cm length for quicker turning in trees or surprise cracks when glacier skiing. Also my goal is to ski like a girl, with smooth graceful style, not brute force or 80s jump turns. The white top sheet was my request, to minimize snow load on the uphill, the mannys are black. When I kick the inside edges together to shed the snow the manny topsheet gets slightly damaged. No such problem with the K Wild. This is no tricky light weight race ski with narrow dimensions. It's half a pound lighter than the mannys and for me is wide enough for any situation and plenty strong. Kam has some ideas to lighten it more. With atk rt bindings and Dynafit tlt5 performance boots the total weight is 11lbs. Skins are a pound. Even with this weight advantage, it is still difficult to skin like the kids, oh well.

I do not eat whole chickens for breakfast! Just joes o's. :)

If you are in puget sound and want to check them out let me know. Or Kam in Reno. Mine fit 297mm bsl if you want to ski them.

My review is at turns-all-year dot com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=23215.0

Movement's story on using the technology that helped Switzerland win the America's Cup can be found at: movementskis dot com/movement/north_tpt_process/