Snow > Work

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Nick's Sticks

Snow > Work

Post by Nick's Sticks »

This past year I learned some important life lessons: Remodeling a home significantly decreases both my bank account as well as my free time. A new bike is more fun than cleaning up the shop. And joining a start-up takes a lot more energy than working at a well established company. All of these things put a major dent in my time for skibuilding.

To my chagrin, I discovered that last year’s skis were threatening to self-destruct at any moment and I was without a suitable ride for this winter. Immediate action was necessary. I dusted off the press, frantically gathered supplies, cranked up the AC/DC and got to ski building.

First off I needed an all-around area ski. I decided to keep it simple, traditinal sidecut, tip rocker, nothing fancy. I ended up going with

187cm
130-95-115
Bamboo cores
VDS above each edge
Triax glass
Silk graphics and clear top sheet

I intended to have a zero camber ski with tip rocker and a subtlety turned up tail. After pulling time out of the press I discovered they were more like a reverse camber ski. I think the combination of my rocker long low rocker profile and only having a heat blanket for the top of my press contributed the reverse camberification of the skis.

I really like the look of wood veneer topsheets but the GF brought back a mountain of silk from the middle east so I thought I’d give it a try.

It was super cold in the shop and I couldn’t wait to see how the bamboo and silk looked so they had to move into the living room.
Image Image

The rocker shot, you can see how much more tip rise there is than I intended, oh well. And a shot of them with an old pair.
Image Image

I haven't decided on what the final tip shape will be so for now I just rounded them off. Hitting the slopes is more important than getting the perfect shape right now. I'll polish them up soon enough.
Last edited by Nick's Sticks on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Wow that silk looks amazing, it looks like it goes completely transparent? I bet those things will be a blast!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

those look super awesome and I dont spread round the compliments.
is that crown/skibuilders clear topsheet?
really sweet.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

The top sheet is some clear PE from Tap plastics. Its smooth on one side and textured on the other. I scuff it up a bit before layup to give it a little more grabbing power. I've used it in a bunch of skis so far and it holds up pretty well. It defiantly isn't as durable as the commercial top sheets but at about $5 per pair of skis you can't go wrong. Plus it wets out totally clear.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Thanks. did you buy that at the store? I dont see it online.
I would love to k now the specs on it and a product number so I can order it. All i see online for clear is acrylic and polycarbonate.
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I pick up the plastic for the topsheets in store. I just looked at their web page and didn’t see anything that looked like the stuff I get. They always have it in a display with some other HDPE sheets. They are $3.75/sheet. I cut one sheet lengthwise and then but the ends under the binding area. That way I only need one sheet per pair of skis, unless they are really wide.

I’ve also started using their HDPE cutoffs for most of my tip and tail spacers. If I remember correctly they carry some that is 1/8th in thick. I use a coarse belt sander to rough them up and bring them down to about 2.5mm.

I was able to make some turns as Alpi over the holidays. The conditions were predictably NW mediocre but the skis worked surprisingly well. I was prepared for lots of chattering and squirrelyness but they held a solid edge and had a lot of pop out of the turns. I think I may have gone a little overboard on the stiffness, especially for a soft snow ski. I’ll taper out the next pair a bit more. I can’t wait to get them out in the good stuff. You can do it Ullr.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Thanks that helps allot. If you go there soon and want to send some my way great. Otherwise i will just try and contact the seattle shop? - or another wa shop?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Double post
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Nick's Sticks wrote:
I was able to make some turns as Alpi over the holidays.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for you, I spend most of my time skiing at Alpy.

Opening day at Hyak today was a blast, even if the snow was crap. End of this week is looking promising!
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I pulled a new pair out of the press after some awesome morning turns.

These guys come in at 182cm, 139-119-130, no camber and head banging rocker.
They have bamboo cores and sidewalls and silk graphics. After the last pair I decided to make them a little softer. I also remembered to flame treat the tip and tail spacers. I forgot to flame treat the last pair and experienced epic tip and tail delam.

Apologies for the crummy photos.
Image Image

I'm polishing them up right now and hope to take them out this weekend.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Rad! Almost a little 80s style! Did you get a chance to make it up to alpy last week? It was amazing.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Nice
After seeing your last couple pair I decided to order some silk to dye and test.
Love the tip shape as well.
keep up the good work.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

Amen!

It was amazing.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Those are really beautiful. Exceptional work...you and Huck are mavens in the "great eye" department!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

What are you using for tipfill? Looks kinda thick.