LeBoeuf's new 2012 skis (apocalypse skis?)

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

leboeuf

LeBoeuf's new 2012 skis (apocalypse skis?)

Post by leboeuf »

Hey all,
So this year's been a wild one... My old employer (Xilinx) decided to shut down our site here in the burque. I decided that silicon valley wasn't for me and have since been gainfully unemployed for the last 2 months. In that time I finished my MSEE so hopefully I won't be tempted to continue with more academic adventure...

Anyway if any of you happen to be in the analog integrated circuit design biz, I hear most companies give referral bonuses ;)

At least I have time to do all things skiing now!

Decided to try a one-off core profiler for this set (bottom)
(top)

new molds; its amazing how fast these went together after my thesis was defended and I had nothing to do :D

Unfortunately joblessness means that I'm not spending cash on heat blankets this season... So I'm using blanket blankets and space heaters

Out of the press. The carbon is to add some strength in the 60deg vector. My last set had some issues with torsional flex in chopped conditions. Unfortunately the carbon came out a little ratty looking... but meh

Cambered this time :)

I decided to try out a thrifty shop made drum sander this year. It worked ok... its definitely under powered, and the paper loads up with plastic pretty quick, but it was tons better than doing things by hand... At least the price was right! Think about $20 and scraps all told.

Setup with a set of last year's marker dukes that I picked up on redic discount. Dimensions are 185cm L/138/112/128; poplar and ash core with ash sidewalls

If anyone is heading to Taos at all this season I may just be there camping in the Wheeler wilderness up past the bavarian restaurant... stop by if you want a beer :)
EricW

Post by EricW »

That's the most ghetto, yet genius base grinder ever!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

if you figure out how to keep that "grinder" wet with a pinch of emulsion fluid, it will reduce the amount of material sticking to it, and base burning and excess material removal.
Doug
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Haha, well I was really hoping someone would respond to this thread with a hearty "I work somewhere that needs analog circuit designers!"
It was worth a shot 8)

We'll see about my "grinder"... It did the trick, but it was tedious. I think I'm going to pickup some load resistant velcro backed sandpaper rolls and see how that goes. I have some sandpaper from 3M that's load resistant and it seems to live up to the claim. I used one sheet per ski last season when I sanded my bases by hand.... That was a 100% beer powered venture...

Think these are going to get ridden all weekend. We had record wind here all day, which is supposed to be the beginning of a front that will bring record snow :D
Freshlines

Post by Freshlines »

I really like the Ghetto base grinder,
I have been thinking about something similar how did you find the speed?
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Speed was set by the max speed of my drill's lock feature :D

I just relocated to Portland, and ended up leaving lil'grinder back in NM. Stay tuned for ghetto blaster version 1.1. I'm thinking table saw motor powered and probably an 8 inch drum.