KAJE Snowboards -- Just getting started

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

Post by OAC »

He's telling the truth. :)
I'm trying and trying and trying get me one...but I'm still at the planer level :)

Plastic sidewalls => CNC
Wood sidewalls => Planer
boardergirl

Post by boardergirl »

Alrighty... here we go. Round 2 with the planer. This core profiling thing is the sucky part of this whole process. I guess it would be cool if it would come out perfect every time.

Next attempt at attaching sidewalls and an extra stip o wood.

Looks pretty legit, right? We glued it down on the crib with hot glue (alot more than the first try) and went for it.

...And this is what happened. So, we weren't completely bummed about this. At least the sidewalls stayed on. So for sure it was an improvement from the last core. If we would have added that extra 6 inches like falls suggested, we would have been set. Next time!

Yes, as a matter of fact, we did plan the matching base and clamps.

So, I didn't get many pics of this board build. I had the flu and was rockin' a 102 degree temperature during the layup. I was pretty much wrecked and almost falling down the whole time... oh yeah, it was midnight when we actually started the wet lay-up. Uhhhhh, the things we do for fun! The one major screw up (that we know of) is that we completely forgot the VDS. AHHHH! I hope it all holds together!

Eric starting to clean her up.

And the sidewalls...

A little hand sanding really makes it look nice.

Finishing touches.

Peeling it off to see what lies beneath.

Board #2 turned out pretty sick. Seriously wanna go ride 'em now!

Two boards in two weeks is not too bad for newbies. We're both pretty wrecked now and will probably take a break for a while... but I do have an idea for my next board. Hmmmmm.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Looking good! You guys are really turning out some great boards, you did your time reading up like crazy for sure!

I have that last pass planer gnarl problem too, I think either badass planer with helical inserts or cnc is the only way around it.
~ Matt
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Those are both right up there with some of the best looking boards on the forum, and they're your first ones!!! Definitely gotta be proud of that!

Bummer on the VDS, you'll probably see some cracking between the steel edge and fiberglass layer after a day of riding, but who cares. They'll still ride just as nice and look just as good! On to the next one!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i had something important to say, but then I saw that "i love big dumps" sticker, and that is just amazing :)
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

the board on the left is the first board you ever built? kudos to you, the one on the right... so much bigger than a "pow stick 156", what is it 170? Makes that 56 look tiny
Doug
falls

Post by falls »

nice work again!
102 degrees. you should have laid on the press to help the epoxy cure!

you want to get a real mask for sanding glass
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-6300-LARGE-R ... 2086897323
and the filter cartridges
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-60926-P100-M ... 5636ea51bb
$40 well spent
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Yeah! Super nice for first boards, WAY better than mine for sure...you guys did your homework :D. Haha, I'm with Knights on that sticker hehe
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I agree with Falls. A good mask is of utmost importance. Though I suggest this one.

I used to wear a half mask with ski goggles but they always fogged sooner or later. This full mask never fogs and is super comfortable. Plus it is easier to wipe the debris off of it, vs. glasses or goggles, when visibility gets compromised. You can also get replaceable clear film for it so the face shield doesn't get trashed.

I can get my face right up next to my router when profiling the sidewalls without a worry.
falls

Post by falls »

Yeah, that's the one I have too Dr
Really good. About $100 on ebay, but for sure a good investment.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
boardergirl

Post by boardergirl »

Hehehe.... I <3 Big Dumps. My all time favorite sticker! Finally found just the right place for it!

Thanks for all the nice compliments. We are really stoked on how they turned out. Hopefully they'll ride well. Probably be trying them out sometime this weekend.

@knights-- yeah, the boards are quite a bit different. The "PowStick" 156 (I know, it's stubby for a powboard) is my board. I usually ride a 151. This board is a little longer with a nice tapered tail and a slightly wider nose. Tiny bit of a fish style. It also has a flat center section with early rise tip. I think it'll float really nice in the pow. We mostly ride sled-assisted backcountry, so I think this board is gonna rock. I'll let ya know soon! Eric's board measured out at 167cm with a 26cm waist width. Basically the same shape as my board. But seriously, it looks huge compared to my board.

@all the moms out there... yeah yeah, we know. We need to get real masks. I guess it's kinda like buying an avalanche beacon... just seems like a crap load of money until you use it and it saves your life. I'll check out your links. Thanks guys! :D

Hope ya'll have a great Thanksgiving!

-- Amy --