Luft Design 11/12

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Teleman36: Sounds like a good idea! I will check it up if its possible to get some of those screws.

As im waiting for more material to arrive (topsheets and sidewalls) and going away for a weeks job tomorow. Il just throw up some pictures of this weekends job.
Im thinking about using foamed PVC as tip/tail spacers. Anyone tried that?

Kicker for CA glue. Good thing to have then attatching edges to the base.

Ski template

Cutting guides for core shaping. Picture of my complete solution of core profiling will be up next week.

Sanding them.

Building adjustable table for vacuuming the skis w. Replace able tips/tails

This is what it looks like then ready for sucki sucki...

The table are adjustable in profile with smal wooden shims between table and its frame. I will weld a more rigd frame in metal for the next pair but this will due for the first pair.
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Some progress. Did manage to build a frame fore my electric hand planar today. Will be fun to se if it works.

deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Looks good K!
Let us know how it works!

2 parcels are on their way!
//Marcus

PS: like the "Kick" in the background!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Perfect Marcus! If this bad weather continus im going to build a pair as soon as i get home from Norway insted of going up to the skitesting weekend. And then only go up on sunday so i could test them out with the rest of skis.
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Oh, and by the way. Unfortunally its not a "kick" in the background. Its actually just a wooden chair.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I like your asymmetrical design. Is it purely for show or is that shorter edge meant to increase the edge pressure for the uphill ski?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

There are several reasons for the assymetrical design. And yours is one of them. It al started out when i sat daown and started to think about what to do with a powder ski to make it perform better. And one idea was to use a diffrent rocker profile to the in/outside of the ski. To make it easier to turn whith the uphill ski. At the same time i wanted a tip that pushes al the vegetation out from the skis. And baam, it was born!
And offcourse, its a unique design.
Later a thougth about the thing that your mentioning but i chickend out i the last minute when i cut out the template. So no the effektive edges are equal length.
Have you tried the idea? Got fired up about maybe trying it on the next pair.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

K.Ström wrote:There are several reasons for the assymetrical design. And yours is one of them. It al started out when i sat daown and started to think about what to do with a powder ski to make it perform better. And one idea was to use a diffrent rocker profile to the in/outside of the ski. To make it easier to turn whith the uphill ski. At the same time i wanted a tip that pushes al the vegetation out from the skis. And baam, it was born!
And offcourse, its a unique design.
Later a thougth about the thing that your mentioning but i chickend out i the last minute when i cut out the template. So no the effektive edges are equal length.
Have you tried the idea? Got fired up about maybe trying it on the next pair.
I can tell you that the assymetric design is great because I have an old F2 snowboard and that is really a carving monster! I have not tried it on skis but I sure will some day.
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
vinman

Post by vinman »

There is a telemark ski here in the US called Scottybob that used this concept but more dramatic.

Your design probably Doesn't have enough difference to feel this kind of effect anyway. I do like the way it looks though.

For a wide powder ski an asym design probably wouldn't be worth it, but for a carving/race ski it might be fun, even for an all mtn ski maybe.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

They say a picture says moore than a 1000 words, so heres more like 56000 words!
In short. I have made the first ski with mixed results. The core was slightly miss aligned, wich with my thin sidwalls means that the wooden core there exposed in one place. Also the base wasnt the flattest but it may work.
Enjoy!!!

OAC

Post by OAC »

Good work!
You will be satisfied even if you're not 100% satisfied with the outcome right now!
I recon the struggle with the plastics. If you're going to stick with vacuum choose a thinner plastic, at least the one you have directly at the laminate. Then you can easier remove/control the wrinkles. Next step is a packing tube (eller slangfolie som finns på olika emaballagefirmor).
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Hey for your first attempt, it could be worse! Lots of lessons learned, just remember that.

For your next ski you should consider locator dowels for the core, that will save you from ever having shifted cores again.

I like your profiling method! It's like a combo of the two "normal" methods (router bridge + planer). Clever! Looks like it works pretty good, no sidewalls ripped off! Lucky!

(OAC I took care of your double post ;) )
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

wow, someone successfully using the hand planer for profiling! i had a thread on that topic and built a contraption for my planer, but i ended up buying a thickness planer.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

thats allot of vds.
In some of my tests I found the glass binded better to the plastic than the wood core.
Nice work.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah what's with all the vds? Two strips down the middle? Never seen anybody do that.