Luft Design 11/12

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, nice work. How did the hand planer work in the crib? Nice idea.
OAC

Post by OAC »

twizzstyle wrote: (OAC I took care of your double post ;) )
Thanks. The strange thing was that I thought I could manage it myself. No biggie just an observation. Never had it before... :)
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Now i have time to post some more coments. A nother bummer i did was to use whose fancy vacuum couplings. They made it inpossible to use the tire warmers i bought.
The concave bases are because im using a to thin stel sheet to vacuum down aginst. So that would be switched out for the next pair.

OAC: Im actually going for a thicker plastic "mylar" closest to the ski. Its stiffer and completle smoth with mirror finish. This is what we use to get a nice finish on the vacuum baged modelairplane wings that i do. Maybe should show how to make one of those? And for the outer plastic im going to use a thin elastic plastic thats are made for this type of application.
Never heard of "slangfolie", will check it up.

Twizz/Montucky: Never had i, until a watched a video on how they make a swedish ski called Extreme skis. Tested one of there models that they build this way and they worked out great. And its actually four stripes in the middle, so total of 6 full length vds stripes.

The first time i used the planner it ripped of a 2inch piece of the sidwall. The second time i adjusted the cutting deph and took it a bit easier. Tada! Nice core without sidwall ripping. Minor sanding still needs to be done to get rid of some smal ridges left by the planner.
But i think it want hurt with an steadier frame.
OAC

Post by OAC »

K.Ström wrote: OAC: Im actually going for a thicker plastic "mylar" closest to the ski. Its stiffer and completle smoth with mirror finish. This is what we use to get a nice finish on the vacuum baged modelairplane wings that i do. Maybe should show how to make one of those? And for the outer plastic im going to use a thin elastic plastic thats are made for this type of application.
Never heard of "slangfolie", will check it up.
Yes, that's another approach, good as any. Since I use silicone sheet I'm spared of those problems.
And if you planning on using heat on top of the plastic vac. bag, be aware that thermo plastics will start to deform around 60°C.
"Been there, done that." :)

Kör hårt!
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

...be aware that thermo plastics will start to deform around 60°C.
Thats somthing i havent thought about! Good input!
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

First pair Done and tested. Tried to airbrush in some simple graphics on to the "innerside" of base material just to see how it worked out. Seems to work fine so im going to develop it for my next pair.
The test run when? To be ready in time for todays ski trip i skiped the waxing part. Totaly unwaxed skis, 10cm of fresh in the slopes and temperaturs around 0C is pretty much the same as NO dded GLIDE AT AL. Bummer.... So hard to say but the rocker curve seems to be a bit long. And the feling of gliding up to the lift line on a pair home made skis beats everything... Thats for sure!
Before next pair im going to build a new vacuum table. Or its more of an upgrade. Returning with pictures in a week or so.

Some pictures.