GETTING STARTED

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Isawsass

GETTING STARTED

Post by Isawsass »

It is time for me to start building skis! I have been reading this forum for a couple of years now, wanting so badly to be able to do what you guys are doing, BUILD MY ON SKIS. No garage or shop space to do it makes wanting to build skis / snowboards very frustrating. Now I have enough shop space so it is about to finally happen. I will post pictures and updates and would really like any help I can get.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Congrats! You're about to embark on the journey of your life!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Congrats!!! Welcome to the insanity, you're part of an elite group of crazy idiots now. :)
Isawsass

Moving press

Post by Isawsass »

So about a year ago I was looking into building a press. I had been searching this site and talking a about how to build it, costs, logistics, with my buddy Tony, who has built presses and worked for a couple of major American snowboard companies, and my partner in this hobby. Then one day I got a call from my friend Rob who was at a yard sale, and he told me this guy having the yard sale was trying to get rid of a snowboard press. I go over to the guys house and see the press there under one of those easy up tents with all of the stuff he had been using to build snowboards with in the tent, in a rainforest I will add. but the press although a bit short seemed very usable so I bought it for a very reasonable price and moved it to my small, unlevel, unheated, floorless, one car garage. Tony and I started getting tools and materials and supplies together to start building skis and snowboards. And trying to figure out how to lengthen the press so that we can build boards as long as we want. But busy schedules, too much skiing/snowboarding to much working, and whatnot, we did not get anything pressed. But this winter is going to be a different story. We have a great shop space to do what ever we want, thanks to this super awesome, sweet lady Marilyn who seems as excited to seeing us make skis and snowboards as we are to start building them. I was planning on moving the press into the new shop the other day and a gnarly storm came through the valley and ripped the roof off, but yesterday with the help of some friends Thom, Karl, Josh and my girlfriend Jeannine we were able to get the press into the shop. Here are a few pictures of us moving the press. Now it is on to the next step...[/img]
Isawsass

Post by Isawsass »

Well, I tried to post pictures but I am an idiot with a computer and couldn't seem to do it.
[/img]
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

you need to upload your images somewhere. photobucket is very popular. then you copy the image URL from photobucket and paste it here between the first Image.
pm me if you need further help.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I'm looking forward to seeing this story develop!
Isawsass

Thanks for the help Chris!

Post by Isawsass »

Image Karl pulling the press out of my little old garage [/img]
Isawsass

Post by Isawsass »

Image[/img]
Isawsass

Post by Isawsass »

Image[/img]
Isawsass

Post by Isawsass »

Image[/img]
Isawsass

Post by Isawsass »

After getting the press in the new garage we deserved a beer. Thanks goes to Karl, Thom, Josh, and Jeannine for helping out![/img]
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Wow, that's a really nice press! Not the kind of thing you'd expect to find at a yard sale!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, nice find. Good thing you had the HD equipment to move it. Nice to have friends like that. Looks like you got a good start on the BTSR (beer to ski ratio) ;)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I just noticed the pneumatic cylinder to raise the top up... needless to say, I am JEALOUS. :oops: