Third board almost done

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

You never did. I'm a little jealous...your designs, finish and use of materials are awesome.There's just so much more...and not to over-complicate it. You just have no idea yet...

I'm pretty sure.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Huck Pitueee wrote:
WhitePine wrote:Sweet. Did you do an inside edge on this thing? Wood inner sidewalls?
This board is for me so no edges or ptex. Trying to keep her a light as possible. If you have to lift an extra half pound with every step in the back country you get less runs. Nothing but powder or corn for this ride.
No p-tex, what's the base? I made a ski w/ a wood base (maple) and it wouldn't hold wax very well, 2 runs it was gone. On your typical ski slope it was very slow. It may have been ok on something steep like Tuckermans or some other steep trail otherwise it was terrible.

Let me know how it slides and what you out on the base for wax or some other treatment. I ski the east coast so not much powder skiing.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

skidesmond wrote:
Huck Pitueee wrote:
WhitePine wrote:Sweet. Did you do an inside edge on this thing? Wood inner sidewalls?
This board is for me so no edges or ptex. Trying to keep her a light as possible. If you have to lift an extra half pound with every step in the back country you get less runs. Nothing but powder or corn for this ride.
No p-tex, what's the base? I made a ski w/ a wood base (maple) and it wouldn't hold wax very well, 2 runs it was gone. On your typical ski slope it was very slow. It may have been ok on something steep like Tuckermans or some other steep trail otherwise it was terrible.

Let me know how it slides and what you out on the base for wax or some other treatment. I ski the east coast so not much powder skiing.
My first board had a wetsanded and polished epoxy base and slid great for me although it didn't hold wax well. For back country riding it's fine becaue you can't put on many miles. On this board I'm going to leave rougher sanding marks to hold the wax better. I'd rub on a quick coat of wax and buff before a run if the snow was wet. Ps I grew up skiing Tucks! What a fun place. Do people still get crazy up there with kegs and innertubes?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I haven't been to Tucks in many years, but I would guess it hasn't changed much. Every year I say I'm going but never get around to it. The lunch rocks is a great place to watch people crash and burn.
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

beautiful split!
i would def sacrifice "weight" for real and durable ptex and edges, especially on a split. what type of bindings are those?

and brazen, i was converted from camber to rocker purely for backcountry riding. i can ride a smaller board with less effort in pow. we feel like its a rider preference as far as camber/rocker, not necessarily what terrain you are planning on riding. and yes, i have ridden an ironing board in pow, look up springbreak snowboards and laugh a lot.
you do however loose a lot of contact area for skinning on the rockered split. just make sure you are out front in fresh pow and not on someone elses trail!
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Haaa!! I love that vid! Some parts look like you're ridin a 9 foot longboard in water! I moved to the mainland after 17 years of maui longboarding last year. So I can relate to what you are up to. The bindings are Voile light rails and I like them. I bought a complete Voile mojo rx to get a package deal hopefully I can sell the deck. Ptex & edges are for suckers! Naw if this test board rides like I hope the next one may get the full build. I live in the Tahoe area so we should trade some ideas after the snow flies. Short wide and fully rockered!!
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

skidesmond wrote:I haven't been to Tucks in many years, but I would guess it hasn't changed much. Every year I say I'm going but never get around to it. The lunch rocks is a great place to watch people crash and burn.
I saw a washing machine size ice block hammer the peanut gallery on lunch rocks not cool. You asked if I had wood side rails. Yes but they are fully capped.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

you do however loose a lot of contact area for skinning on the rockered split. just make sure you are out front in fresh pow and not on someone elses trail![/quote]

I wonder what brand skins you're using. I used Voile tractor skins on last winters test board and kept up with my friend in all conditions. He had a cambered 171mm and I had a rockered 135mm short board.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Brazen wrote:Cap. Beautiful work, good eye. Not serious. Really. Rocker on a backcountry? Have you done any break/flex/failure testing? But really beautiful...seriously...just not usable is what I see. I would break that in 2 days...either in construction from delam or with a hammer after using a park camber in back-country.
Douchepost
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Some people can't handle seeing other people having more fun than them. :) It's all about FUN FUN FUNNN!!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

The funny thing is that most snowboards built for backcountry freeriding now have some form of rocker. All of T-rices boards have some form of rocker, and his banana hammock is full rocker. All of the Jones boards have rockered tips and tails with varying levels of camber underfoot (which wouldn't even be necessary if they weren't designed for riding icy steeps). All of lib's experimental pow boards are full rocker. K2's Gyrator is full rocker, and marketed for powder only. A lot of split boards and skis that people are using to access the backcountry have rocker.

Thinking that rocker is only for park is even funnier, since the trend is actually opposite. Most professional park riders are finding that in order to stick the biggest airs they have to have some form of camber. In fact the big air freestyle park wizards are all riding cambered boards.

Rocker is finding it's place in snowboard design mainly in freeride and powder boards, not in park boards (although the kids are still eating up rockered park boards).
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I don't care if Seth friggin' McFarlane rides rocker (please see definition of "funny"). I prefer the power and edging in regular camber. Thank you. I wasn't saying that it should be the standard...

"K2's Gyrator is full rocker, and marketed for powder only."

Ironing board? :D
Last edited by Brazen on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I just checked out the utube review of the gyrator and it looks like it rides fine at the resort. If I ever ride a resort I'd definitely bring a cambered board and rockered. I was checking out some K2 powder skiis and couldn't believe how much rocker they had. They made my boards look flat. It's so inspiring to see a big company doing radical stuff like that.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I know...I also know that people can only provide unbiased opinions about things they have no interest in. DBS' zealous fervour regarding rocker boards is understood but misdirected, as was his comment on my comment. Huck, you're not riding resorts? And, I have to say as much as I love K2, I believe they started the exodus to China...so who cares what they do.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I'm not riding resorts. No job so no big expenses. My friends tell me all about the stress to get fresh tracks on a pow day at the resorts. Not so interested.