"you building what? Are you mad?"

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

anaa

Post by anaa »

Interesting post!!
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Couple weeks ago I had close call on safety. First time in a very long time.

Routers most dangerous tool we got.

I used my Porter-Cable trim router for small job not related to ski building. While doing that I put my hand in close proximity to router bit that's happened without thinking task through and before you know it router slipped and jump on my index finger tear up my working glove. It happened so quick I felt bit on my sin. Thx G-d not even scratch.

Work safe

skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

I've had some close calls. That's about as close as they get. I'm glad your okay.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yikes that is close! I've ran my thumb into a router bit on a router table before, took off a good 1/4" of my thumb. (it grew back :) )
vinman

Post by vinman »

I had a similar incident with my trim router. Index finger hit the lock nut that hold the bit. I built a small plastic gaurd to prevent this.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

I was always taught not to wear gloves when using tools like this. The glove usually has the effect to pull your hands and fingers more into the tool rather then protect it. Lucky dude!
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Cornice wrote:I was always taught not to wear gloves when using tools like this. The glove usually has the effect to pull your hands and fingers more into the tool rather then protect it. Lucky dude!
agreed!!!
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

I fear my router. It threw a bit on me about 3 years ago that lodged into my wall. Only then did I realize I almost always route with the bit at groin level. Stepping up to 1/2" shank bits should help in theory but I shiver a little every time that thing gets up to speed.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I can consider myself very fortunate with this incident.
I also was thought not to wear gloves but this day's I wear gloves all the time when working and they definitely save me finger from big injury this time. Have to be very careful working freehand with router

Worked on my profiler. Almost done ....finally
work in progress on new table
drilling new rails
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

one step forward 2 steps backwards.
Tried today to flatten table for my profiler. Didn't work out too well. very frustrating and couldn't get table flat :evil:

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

finally light in end of the tunnel.
After countless setbacks finally have progress. Almost finish my profiling jig need to figure out best way to attach dust collector.

first successful run of profiler

pine board tapered down from 12 mm to about 2mm without problems
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Over weekend upgraded fence on my tablesaw. What a the difference it's make. Performance improved 10 folds. Before performance was marginal to say the least and I been thinking to get bigger 220v belt drive tablesaw. Now simply I couldn't feed it fast enough with any hardwood even IPE.
With this performance cutting strips to make the core shouldn't be a problem anymore

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

cleaned my shop another day. Couple items don't want to throw out maybe somebody can use them. They are parts of older versions of profiling bridge. one made of 1/4" steel plate another one from 6" C- channel

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I need advice.

I'm making cattracks 's from three-quarter box tubing and didn't buy enough I need probably 10 to 15 more pieces. I have leftovers of 1 inch box tubing, probably enough to make cattracks.
Can I use tubing different size? 1 inch will go in the middle
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You will get a pressure ridge in the middle., the pressure is already greater in the middle because the laminate is narrower in most instances but you may get a void or lumps in the laminate or cassette at the transition unless you smooth it there.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.