My fourth snowboard just finished

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

that's pretty sick i'd love to figure out how to do both
Doug
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

beautiful
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

knightsofnii wrote:that's pretty sick i'd love to figure out how to do both
Put your board on the form with peel ply then bleeder cloth. Put the form and board into a vac bag. Then take all that and put it in the press. Just don't stress and get bleeder cloth between the board and the form like I did.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Wow! Great job!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

there you go ;) i can explain it to you as well if twizz hasn't done so...

that board is a work of art! loving the backseat inserts! :D
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

haha, i just realized that the wood frame thingy is your press! what psi are you pressing at? are you seeing any deflection?
Huck Pitueee

Yea that's my press.

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I didn't measure any deflection but I got scared at very low psi. Some cracking sounds caught my attention. I'll beef it up a bunch for my next board. Thanks for getting the pics up! How'd you do that?
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Wow, that looks so amazing. That is one of the coolest looks I've ever seen. *golf clap*
twizzstyle

Re: Yea that's my press.

Post by twizzstyle »

Huck Pitueee wrote:I didn't measure any deflection but I got scared at very low psi. Some cracking sounds caught my attention. I'll beef it up a bunch for my next board. Thanks for getting the pics up! How'd you do that?
Yeah a wood press scares me. Take a look at some of the steel presses people have built, if you're going to be using any significant amount of pressure it needs to be steel. Think about a car's weight. Would you trust parking 20 small cars on your press? Because that's the order of magnitude of force a firehose imparts at ~60psi.

To post pictures you need the direct link to the jpg's. In Flikr you have to go view all the sizes, then pick a size, right click and get properties to get the direct jpg link.

Then on the forum here you type [ img ] (without spaces) then paste the jpg URL, then [ /img ] (again no spaces) and it'll post the picture.

There are handy buttons above the text window when you are posting that will add the img tags for you :)
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Thanks for the help Twizz. I'll try to wade through that. Yea the wood press is sketchy but it's better than bagging only. My shop is 8 x 14 so no steel press for a while.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I just have a bet going here, can you help me Huck? I say you're pressing first then bagging the topsheet, T or F.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

For what it's worth Brett, a few pairs ago I tried to do both, I vacuum bagged the ski in the mold first, then while it was under vacuum I put it in the press and used the firehose.

This was before I had a cattrack, and on the first ski the hose pushed my top sheet metal down around the sides and clamped off the vacuum hose, I lost vacuum, and it didn't work. For the second ski I did some things different so that wouldn't happen, and it worked out pretty good.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Brazen wrote:I just have a bet going here, can you help me Huck? I say you're pressing first then bagging the topsheet, T or F.
That's what happened. I filled any imperfections in the top layer of glass then bagged on the veneer.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

damnit!
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

In the pics. above I show the 3 layer core. Is that called "vertically laminated"?