WhiteRooom 11/12

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

WhiteRooom 11/12

Post by vinman »

Skis for a friend

Big rocker fatty out of the press

185cm

dimms: 130/142/122/132/122

40cm tip with 7 cm rise, 5 mm camber under foot, 35 cm tail with 3 cm rise

core profile 2.5-12-2.3. maple and poplar laminate, veneer topsheet

pressed 180F for 30 min at 55 psi, super sap CPM epoxy.

I'm wicked pumped right now. These came out of the press looking great. bases and tops look flat. Heaters and electronics worked great. The tips/camber and tail profiles came out as expected. Camber was slight more than projected at 5-6mm. I was shooting for 4mm.

I really did a better job of thinking out the layup and placement of the thermocouples, which was my problem last time.

Had a minor issue with the epoxy. we mixed 3 batches of epoxy 250g resin and 125 g hardener. The first 2 batches were fine but kicked quickly in the containers. I was a bit nervous that we'd screwed the pooch but everything seemed to cure nicely.

But, this left us a bit short on epoxy but we ended up with just enough to finish the layup. Not quite enough to do the full top coat on the veneer. But we'll mix a small batch and coat the tops and put them in the press to finish them off.

I also need to do some more sanding on my tip mold, there is a bit of a flat spot in the tip rocker but it won't effect performance.

we let them cool to ~140F and then took them out. One they cooled some more we cut them in half. and placed them on their sides for overnight. We'll trim flash tomorrow. FKNA!!!! This pair definitely came out better than the first pair. No major pressure issues in the tail or tips like in the first pair.

I'll post more once they get some finishing work done.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Misha

Post by Misha »

The best experience. Own experience =)
Well done ;)
From R with l :)
Murchonn
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

^ (Like he said)
Nice job!!!
vinman

Post by vinman »

Didnt get to flash this pair out, honeydo list was too long today. The next 3 weeks should be productive. I have a goal of a pair per week. Then I have 2 more pair after that for the fall.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

If you are making a fair few, you might want to have a word the MM about whether applying a PU coating in advance makes the topsheet less prone to showing edge strike.

Just a thought.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I have pretty good results just putting an epoxy topcoat on during layup. I used spray adhesive to stick the parchment to the top Alu skin. This prevents the parchment from slumping down the the tip and tail causing wrinkles.

Foe this pair I'll just mix a small batch of epoxy for a top
Coat then thrown them back in the press to cure.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Did a bit of jointing of veneers today for the first time. I had some strips of what looks like oak or ash (unsure as it came from the misc /unmarked section of the store) and the makore I used for my first ski

After reading and watching some vids on how to join veneers I decided to give it a go.

Basically I used a long piece of MDF as a straight edge to score the veneer. The the 2 halves of the large sheet and the small strip get stacked and taped to the MDF straight edge.

Another piece of MDF gets clamped on top with ~1mm of veneer edge showing. The belt sander gets passed over the edge and trim the veneer for a nice smooth edge. Image
After this it is as simple as using some porous paper first aid tape to fit the three pieces together.

The result was better than I hoped but not exactly 100% perfect just like the rest of this project in fact. Here is what it looks like.

I was going for a surf style look with an off center stripe. These will be the tops for the pair I'm pressing on Monday. All in all it took about an hour to do both sheets. Stoked to see them turn into skis.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Very nice :)
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I like the makore veneer. I bet the contrast of makore and ash/oak will look great. Post pics after the pressing.
vinman

Post by vinman »

WhiteRoom BOSS 318 per dimensions in first post of this thread

The graphics were off center and my buddy put a coat of poly on tops instead of letting me epoxy top coat them so they look blothchy. I haven't been able to inspect them after they got flashed out but I'll get a hold of them tomorrow.

I am pretty happy with the rocker/camber profiles though. Can't wait to lay up the next pair tomorrow. I'm sure this next pair will be even better after fixing some minor mold issues.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Looking good Vinman! After seeing some of the veneer top sheets people have used, its really making want to try one.

Did you make the contact points of your ski also the widest points?
vinman

Post by vinman »

Yes. More pics to come pressed another pair today.
vinman

Post by vinman »

3rd pair pressed today. Layup went even better after gaining some experience and fixing some minor mold issues.

I had to cut out a small section of sidewall that got ripped off in the planer. I replaced it with a small piece of tip spacer and taped it into place with the same paper tape I use in the tips and tail. I think I have to either sharpen or replace my blades

out of the press

tip spacer joint

trim work done on one ski. Burnt the motor out of my 10 year old jig saw. It was way underpowered for this type of work. Well at least I get to buy a new tool. Trim router and bosch bench mounted belt sander worked great. 10 deg bevel on the sidewall.

The biggest problem with this layup was that the top sheets got misaligned while loading the press due to a tight fit. I think I need to take a bit off the tip section of the top mold.

I measured 6 small batches of epoxy this time and no early exotherm kick.

To reduce denting and waviness of the top sheets from my ghetto hockey stick cat track I used a compression layer. Which is basically a foam mesh used to line shelves or tool boxes. It worked well but is definitely a single use only product as the heat and compression pretty much destroy it. But I think it did reduce some of the waves in comparison to the first 2 sets that don't have it

Bases look pretty good but there is a couple spots that the edge tines caused some raised spots. I think they'll grind out.

All in all more success and more lessons learned with the top sheets.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Nice work :) it's always something haha...
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
OAC

Post by OAC »

Very nice! I like the look of the second pair, with the string in the middle!