WhiteRooom 11/12

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Beautiful! I love all the wood veneer topsheets that seem to be common throughout this site. Something I have to try when the time comes no doubt.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Common! Is the new guys calling our work common ; )

It's nice to work with the veneer, I'm sure you've looked at co's website.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Tested a new graphic application tonight. I tried using the rub on graphics that I mentioned a few posts ago.

It seems to work nicely but is very delicate, if you wrinkle it, it will be shot and you have to re-print.

The result is a nice clean look. You will be able to see it when looking at an angle.

These go one coat of poly then graphics. They'll get 3 more coats to seal the graphic in place.

I also taped the sidewalls with painters tape to try and keep most of the poly off and cut down on some of the clean up time. It seems to be working well.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
vinman

Post by vinman »

So stoked right now. I had 2 of my recent builds get base grinds yesterday. The bases and edges came out perfect. The smaller race ski are perfectly flat after the grind and the three eighteen.07 model is nearly perfect with only some minor con cavity I the tip. The guys t the shop did a great job and the bases look pancake flat. I'll post a pic or two later.
vinman

Post by vinman »

So stoked right now. I had 2 of my recent builds get base grinds yesterday. The bases and edges came out perfect. The smaller race ski are perfectly flat after the grind and the three eighteen.07 model is nearly perfect with only some minor con cavity I the tip. The guys t the shop did a great job and the bases look pancake flat. I'll post a pic or two later.

FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Richuk wrote:Common! Is the new guys calling our work common ; )

It's nice to work with the veneer, I'm sure you've looked at co's website.

I guess I should have said 'popular' instead of 'common'.

So the board I am trying to reverse engineer has what looks like veneer laminated to the profiled core with a layer of unidirectional carbon fiber between the core and bottom veneer.

Anyone ever try or seen anything like this??
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Wow Vin, those do look great!! I ordered new belts for the grinder this week...
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
vinman

Post by vinman »

mixed camber, mixed sidecut. 183cm, 4 mm camber. 7cm rise over 40 cm tip, 3 cm rise over 30 cm tip.

Unfortunately one ski has a shifted core. I fixed it with epoxy and I think it will be skiable but I have no idea how durable it will be. I'm going to make a replacement for this ski since it was a build for a good friend.
falls

Post by falls »

how to you put the poly on vinman?
spray gun, just in your workshop?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
vinman

Post by vinman »

I just brush it on. It's still wet in that pic. I lightly sand with 220 then 320 and 400 grit. Each coat gets finer grit sanding.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Skis for my 5 year old son. They will get some Super Mario graphics since he's a Mario junky. They also have red bases since that is his favorite color.

dimms
97/69/86
lenght 94cm

core and sidewall: left over floor boards from our bamboo floor installations this fall
2/8.5/2

veneers is makore and alder scraps leftover from other builds.

This layup went quick since it is such a small ski. Everything went smoothly except for the tip rise turned out a bit lower than i had planned. I guess I didn't get them pushed up into the tip mold very well. They feel stiff. I went with 8.5mm because that's what his skis from last year measure and there needs to be enough to screw into. guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

Crappy cell phone pic

This was my 7th pair since March. With ski season around the corner, it will also likely be my last full pair for the year. I am doing a single ski re-uild for a buddy since we screwed up his sidewall but that will be the end of my active building for the year I think.

All in all a good building year, I learned a ton.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

cool. My freind and I are making some for his 7 yo. Most likely any kids ski is made of foam with a monocoque/cap construction where the BINDING is really held in place with the topsheet mostly.

He is going 9 mm in the middle at 130cm I think. Tough to make skis soft enough wit this heavy glass and stiff epoxy we have access to.
Ski building really gets going for us in the winter unfortunately. Everyone wants skis when the snow flies.

edit cause im done
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MontuckyMadman wrote:cool. My freind and I are making some for his 7 yo. Most likely any kids ski is made of foam with a monocoque/cap construction where the ski is really held in place with the topsheet mostly.

He is going 9 mm in the middle at 130cm I think. Tough to make skis soft enough wit this heavy glass and stiff epoxy we have access to.
Ski building really gets going for us in the winter unfortunately. Everyone wants skis when the snow flies.
I agree MM. Kids skis are hard to make soft. Can't make them too thin or you'll drill through them when mounting the bindings. Try gorilla glue instead of epoxy. It will bond everything but makes it a little bit softer. I'll be making a ski with it.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

haha I could never convince my freind to use PU glue for anything. He considers it the scourge of everything wood working.
I dunno just him.
haha
I would use aspen but he made a polar/maple one.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

some pics of the finished product