Gotta start somewhere

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TahoePowder

Post by TahoePowder »

I see what you mean. That would probably be a better way to do it. The forstner bit is definitely the way to go over dados. Since I already had the 'top blocks' cut, routed and drilled, we went ahead and planed down spacers and then drilled the holes. We've got a 2m melamine piece with 20 alignment blocks 10cm apart. So the total 'span' of the gaps are around 6cm, a little over 2 in. Might 'bend' closer to tip/tail, but we'll see. I'm going to start with hardboard deck with skate tape on top. I'll post the results and pictures.
TahoePowder

Post by TahoePowder »

Definitely can see how this building thing can turn into a year long process to 1 pair of skis...

A couple of pictures from the first test run of the planer sled:

Top is 1/8" hardboard flipped with rough side up. Saved on using grip tape . Worked pretty well. Was going for 2.5-12-2.5 and ended up with 3-12.5-2.5 due to .5 mm of hot glue pressing tail up and I was only measuring tail so I ended up stopping.

Gathering materials and such as we go along. Have a lead on some free steel, which would be awesome! We'll see how that goes...

More
TahoePowder

Post by TahoePowder »

Meant more to come.

Things that went well:
Hardboard with rough side up seemed to be a good choice. No grip tape and didn't flex (visibly) in between spacers 'span'.
Melamine bottom board slides well through planer and didn't get caught up.
Melamine accepted the T-nuts on the underside well (with a little wood glue to keep them in).

Things that could go better:
Like falls said above somewhere, it would probably make it less of a chore if you planed the spacer to size and then used a forstner bit to countersink for the bolt head/washer and then drill for bolt to go through. If that makes sense. Even if you went with the blocks with bolts separate from the spacers, a forstner bit for countersinking would be easier than routing dados in them all.

I can see how if you are switching between core profiles often, a different system would be more efficient, but I'm hoping we'll have 1 core profile that develops with the skis being built.