Section8 2011-2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Section8 2011-2012

Post by skidesmond »

Well after a long hiatus I have 2 sets of skis in the works for some friends. The first is 178cm 130-86-116, 3-12.5-3 all maple core. Using ash veneer as tip spacers. 2 pieces give 3 mm thickness. Much easier than trying to shape the entire tip to 3mm. Let you know how it works out. Top sheet will be recycled teak. The other ski is 152cm 127-80-109, 3-10-3. Used douglas fir down the center and cherry for the side walls. Also using ash veneer for tip spacers. Top sheet will be penguins if I can find the material at Joannes. Made both cores today.

Both skis will be traditional layups. I like the 178cm layup and may make the same ski for myself in an all wood lamination (maybe cork too?) and poly-u glue w/ a ptex base.

Stay tuned.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Good SD!
Beware of the weight and stiffness on the 178's. How much FG and how long will you make the binding area?
I went over the limit with these:
Way too heavy!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The binding area is about 20in (50cm). I'll be using 20 oz triax FG. I'll weigh the cores today. The 178's are for the father, 152 for his daughter. He's an expert skier but I'm guessing he weighs in around 165lbs tops. Maybe I'll shave the core down a bit. I'll give it some test flexing later tonight.

(edit...)

:idea: OAC you gave me an idea. Maybe I should conduct a test on the core, like I did on the 'Epoxy vs Poly-U Glue" tests. Test core flex before layup by suspending a weight at boot center, then test again after the ski is completed, note the change. This could give a general idea/insight on how much stiffer a ski will be.

I know I have a spreadsheet that somebody did (Idris maybe?) the was called something like Flex Predictor. Maybe I should re-visit that first. Ok, now I'm rambling.....
Last edited by skidesmond on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
OAC

Post by OAC »

50cm! I'm using 35cm.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Doh! You're right, 35cm. I measured the planer crib and the binding areas is 14in (about 35+cm). That's what I get for trying to recall from memory. The 50 is 50mm set back I use for boot center.
OAC

Post by OAC »

I will try a new core profile for my OAC-8's. I will actually move the binding area a little bit forward. Not long, just a couple of cm. The last pair was too soft in front. I will also stop at 3mm. I will follow your tests.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Here you go SD!

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =top+sheet

If the sheet is not available via the links, send me an email.

If you are looking a monitoring you core dimensions, you might find it interesting to look at this site:

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/measure/EImachine.php , or search 'EI machine' it might give you a few ideas.

This is interesting too http://www.neufinder.com/store/ - you just need to find a force cell (take the one from the kitchen scales)

When the site is updated, who knows, it might even include plans for one of these : )
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks Rich. I found the excel spreadsheet on my pc. I knew I had it some where. Now that I have some experience, the numbers mean a little more to me now.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The guy I'm making the skis for stopped by the other day to see the shop. Showed him the cores for him and his daughter. Gave him a brief "this is how I make skis". Talked a lot of ski talk. Decided his core should be thinner, 3-10.5-3 . Spent this evening shaving 2 mm off with a belt sander and hand plane. A LOT OF WORK! If i thought it was going to be that much work I would have set up the planer and planer crib and run them through a few times. Lesson learned. I'll do some fine tuning tomorrow. Hopefully press 1 pair this weekend.

Penguin top sheet for the girl:
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

If I was a penguin, I would learn how to eat other penguins or steal their food. Have you seen those guys get tossed in the air by killer whales and eaten by sharks?!? If I was a penguin there's no way I'm gettin' in that water, it's like "I can't feel my legs" or "Is that a great white"? No way, I'm havin' whatever that is you just gurged up, btw do you taste like chicken?. Thank you.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
OAC

Post by OAC »

Penguins, that was a new one!

Question: Why don't icebears eat/hunt penguins?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

LOL. Yea and who wants to wear a tuxedo 24x7? You'd think they'd wear bathing suits once in awhile.

OAC - I give up, why?
OAC

Post by OAC »

Icebears lives on the north pole while the penguins still hanging on the south pole! Bad joke, I know! :D
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC wrote:Icebears lives on the north pole while the penguins still hanging on the south pole! Bad joke, I know! :D
lol, that would be a long way for a meal.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I had planned on pressing the penguin skis yesterday but got interrupted by the day job (on the weekend no less :evil: ). I was able to get all the materials cut and ready for pressing hopefully today, so the day wasn't a total loss.