Twizz 2011/2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Twizz 2011/2012

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm finally getting around to building, and it feels great!

I finished my first pair of the year today. I didn't take many photos along the way, because I was too busy building to take pictures. Oh well.

These are the 3rd version of my "piggy sticks". The first pair had clear topsheets and turned out so-so. The second pair I tried to do a combo vacuum/firehose pressing to get a cap construction. That idea was a semi-failure, but the skis have been great, I've used them a couple seasons now. These new ones I wanted to try a sidewall again, and I wanted to make them a little wider (cause they weren't silly enough I guess). I added 5mm to the tip/tail, but left the waist the same so there's a little more sidecut. I also loved the graphics I did on the last ones, so I took that same file and just changed the colors a little to go with the sidewalls and bright yellow bases.

Behold, Piggy Sticks v3.0.

160cm length
155/130/145
Bamboo core
p-tex sidewalls
topsheet sublimated by CODA
20oz (or thereabouts) triax top and bottom, as well as a 3" wide uni carbon strip top and bottom - they're pretty stiff
flat underfoot (no camber), with lots of early rise/rocker in the tips

Size comparison with my crabby sticks

OAC

Post by OAC »

Very nice! Good job twizz!
I wish I was 25 - 30 years younger so I could use thoose kind of "toys"!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Perfect job!
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Pristine!
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Pristine!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Full disclosure - I forgot to flame treat the sidewalls on the core before layup... and it didn't stick. So along the entire length of the ski if you look REALLY close, there is a tiny gap between the sidewall and the fiberglass. I'm not worried about it, its perfectly bonded to the bamboo, and my bamboo skis that have bare bamboo sidewalls have been fine.

Next up (hopefully soon, maybe even this weekend if I have time) is a bare-bones simple ski. No full wrap edges, no sidewalls, no sublimated topsheet. Bamboo cores with bamboo veneer topsheet. I want to see if I can make a pair of skis from start to pressing in one day.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Nice skis, nicer car. I love those. Wish they made an exact copy but bigger. I wouldn't even fit in the drivers seat, but damn I would love to.
novaskis

Post by novaskis »

those look amazing Twizz. if i could turn out skis half that good i would be proud. good job dude
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

You suck.

:) kidding haha, I FB'd a question about your fiber imprint...or lack of it. Those are friggin' gorgeous.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
doughboyshredder

not sure how twizz accomplishes it, but I know that some builders use a layer of 1 or 2 oz satin weave glass under the top sheet. Of course you're trading weight for cosmetics unless you reduce the weight of your top layer of glass.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I think the photos hide the imprint a little, it's definitely there, although not nearly as bad as past pairs. I thnk the cf layer helps, since I'm using a cat track now it's not pressing as hard over the areas with just fiberglass as it is over the cf in the middle. Just means there's extra resin in there, but the skis aren't exactly heavy. I pressed at 65psi and 180deg for an hour.

Thanks for the comments on the Lotus, I adore that car. I'm only 5'5" so it's actually about the only car that's doesn't feel huge to me! Fits me like a glove, and drives like no other car I've ever driven. I do a fair bit of autocross, and got the lotus to replace my wrx. The lotus certainly isn't a powerful or even "fast" car, but the overall driving experience can not be matched!
doughboyshredder

handles like a dream, right?
tufty

Post by tufty »

Lots of trouble, usually serious...

Beautiful skis. Really good work.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

doughboyshredder wrote:handles like a dream, right?
Absolutely! 1900lb, mid engine, double wishbone suspension, manual steering and manual brakes (no power steering or brake boost). And used ones can be found for pretty cheap!
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

inspired to post :P