dSquared snowboarding

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

deanevans

Post by deanevans »

Its about 375mm which is a hell of alot but we can pack it up to make it fit. Ive just noticed on other peoples presses that there isn't much of an opening so i just went way over the top.

Yea im considering atm how to do the center support without having those average looking threads and angle iron getting in the way,

Im thinking of welding on a 1" by 1" square steel hollow on the back in the center and on the front having a similar thing but having it so it can be locked up for pressing or down when inserting the materials.

Still working on that tho.

Also ive only just noticed that Crown plastics the guys i get all my plastics from seem to have screwed up my order. they sent me the right base which was 1.3mm thick but the top sheet is now 2mm thick :s

So i think im gona use the 2mm as base and route a tiny bit off it for the edges. and then use the 1.3mm as top sheet.

What do you guys think?

Will that be alrite or will the board be super fat and heavy?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I mean the lengthwise span.
Height doesnt matter.
1" will do little I fear.
topsheet is normally like .3mm.
Dont use both. IMO.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
deanevans

Post by deanevans »

Hmmmm the press is about 2.2m long so it should b plenty for what we need to do. Not doing skis just boards.

Yea i thought it would b miles to fat using the 2mm stuff. we ordered way skinnier stuff but to send it back to them will cost $400 and thats a bit much atm.

mite give it a try and we will see.

2"it is then lol. Maybe two of them on each side then or three im unsure.

Trial and error.....
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

dsquared wrote:Hmmmm the press is about 2.2m long so it should b plenty for what we need to do. Not doing skis just boards.

Yea i thought it would b miles to fat using the 2mm stuff. we ordered way skinnier stuff but to send it back to them will cost $400 and thats a bit much atm.

mite give it a try and we will see.

2"it is then lol. Maybe two of them on each side then or three im unsure.

Trial and error.....
If they screwed up the order it should be on them to rectify the situation. You shouldn't have to pay shipping to return what they shouldn't have sent you in the first place.

Make a deal with them to sell you the 2 mm stuff for cheap (since they screwed up sending it to you), and you will have tip fill forever. You may need to sand and flame it assuming it's not sanded on both sides.
deanevans

Dumb mistake

Post by deanevans »

Hmmm i have just realised what it is they did now.

The have the right plastics afterall but they got the quantitys mixed up.

So now i have 50m of tip spacer and only 10m of top sheet.

So im not going to need tipfill for a loooooooooooooooooong time. Another few hundred on top sheet and im away again :)
deanevans

Compressor/bladder time

Post by deanevans »

So,

I have been trying to find the right valves to go from the compressor to the airbag/bladder for the press.

So far I've got the compressor going to the 1/4" pipe to a ball valve then to a pressure measure thingy... :) then to a "t" junction. From there it goes to some more 1/4" pipe and this is where it should then go into the bladder/fire hose but I am really having trouble finding that last connection.

Does anyone know the name of the valve I need? its the one that you can see on step four and six of this page http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/equip/bladder.shtml

I know Head Monkey had a list of all the parts but he has recently moved all the info to a wiki and it doesn't seem to be finished yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)
falls

Post by falls »

It's called a bulkhead fitting or panel mount coupler
http://www.fittingsexpress.com.au/product/0117
I got mine from these guys in Australia.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Here's the page with the bladder connection part numbers: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... nstruction

Enjoy!
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
deanevans

Post by deanevans »

Cheers guys.

I don't know how i missed that page. I was looking under the pneumatic's section rather than on that page.

So i just grabbed a couple of each but from a local source.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Are these available in your neck of the woods?

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/compr ... connector/

Larger surface area to clamp against.
doughboyshredder

Head Monkey wrote:Here's the page with the bladder connection part numbers: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... nstruction

Enjoy!
Ya know you have really helped immensely with that bladder construction setup.

Thanks for all that you have done!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

^Seriously. I owe you a beers.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
deanevans

BEERS!! and an update

Post by deanevans »

I also defiantly owe all you guys beers as well.

So another update,

I’ve gotten most of the fittings for the airbag. I'm pretty much copying head monkeys design on this. It seems like most people are designing them like this so there’s no point in reinventing the wheel :)

Ive also been working a bit more on the press, I haven’t done anymore reinforcing in the middle yet but i will when the funds come available. Also the cat track is now all threaded together and suspended so that’s something else out of the way.

The next thing I’m going to be tackling is creating a "clean room" which could be a mission as the shed isn't very big and there is sooooooo much saw dust doing those cores!!

I recently cleaned it all up with the airgun and 3 giant rubbish bags that where completely full of only saw dust(its been a while since the last clean...)

I can’t remember if I’ve already said but I got the blanket into the press and it works awesomely.(I got it from MEI) only one for the time being because of funds and the fact that I don’t want to draw to much current and destroy all the fuses. I got all the electronics from Auberins.

Hmmmmmmm what else has happened.... o yea... it's been snowing like crazy down south of me so I’m cruising down to the mountain for a week so that should b awesome!! If only I could be riding my own board... maybe next time.

I’ll post some pictures when I get the chance to get them off my phone.

For now here are a few photos I have from my last trip :)
So this ones me and anna(my girlfriend) at mt ruapehu

and this one is just a slightly blurry picture of Mt Ruapehu

Does anyone else hate silicon as much as I do??
doughboyshredder

Don't need silicone, if you do your hose right.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Great job. You're on the path man, it just takes a little longer than we thought :)

I love the shape of the silicon's haha
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".