OAC 2011/2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

Post by OAC »

K.Ström wrote:Janne: Im glad to say, ITS ACTUALLY SNOWING HERE! Smal smal crystals, slowly covering the ground.....

deepskis: are you going up to sälen? Would be so nice to meet up there with some other builders. Hopfully my first funktionally pair will be done and whose are going to be tested under the ski testing weekend in Tandådalen.
http://www.skistar.com/sv/Salen/Skidakn ... acken/#now
Sounds promising. But todays picture looks more like summer(with snow canons)
OAC

Post by OAC »

Fail!
The re-saw failed! I got a drift, the first for over a year! Didn't pay attention... :( ..new core in the glue press.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Half way there...

deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Janne, thats awesome!!

Really like the graphics! Did you screen print that or did you print it on paper?

//Marcus
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
OAC

Post by OAC »

Thanks. Print on paper. But this time the paper was thicker than expected! The epoxy didn't come thru...only 1%(circa) in form of dots. It's always something!
But the mechanic specs are good! Both torsional and longitudinal.
richie

moving into summer, got to lower the BTS ratio

Post by richie »

Firstly, just want to say thanks to you guys , my first 2 splitboards and pair of ski's I built this year all turned out good, plenty of improvement possible of course but they all performed better than I expected for a noobie builder! 2 more splits being built now. My pics of my builds are on my facebook www.facebook.com/splitn2 ok.

Jan, my BTS ratio is up there, in fact I am sure I lead this aspect of skibuilding, I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about every next move, in the mean time I nail a few beers. So I recon for this entire project (2 splits and 1 pair skis) my BTS is more than 100:1 not kidding!!!!! 2 years of buildup planning and workshop prep took its toll around my waist thats for sure.

Now I am about to complete my MK2 router bridge, its more of an upgrade to include a vacuum hold down for the cores while they are under the router profiler. So far it looks like I have a good suction on the table and plenty of good hold down. With only a 3/4hp vacuum too!

The more significant project is to retrofit hinges to my press , so its opens for cassette in/out , using air rams to lift it. This will take a lot of hit and miss work out of the process as I have had more than enough issues with having to force the cassette into the press, panicing, and I am totally over it. When this is done I'll post more pics.

Lastly I start slowly building a CNC, I see this as the way to go to the next level for sure. Cutting bases, profiling and drilling cores, in volume. But that is a slow project, I am accumulating the right bits as I find them. To speed it up I may buy the complete laser cut steel kit for table and gantry from www.mechmate.com it looks quite satisfactory.

Will I ever get payback, not sure , but this is a shit load of fun!!! And it beats the day job too - IT sucks!

cheers fellas
Rich
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
skidesmond

Re: moving into summer, got to lower the BTS ratio

Post by skidesmond »

richie wrote:...
Jan, my BTS ratio is up there, in fact I am sure I lead this aspect of skibuilding, I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about every next move, in the mean time I nail a few beers. So I recon for this entire project (2 splits and 1 pair skis) my BTS is more than 100:1 not kidding!!!!! 2 years of buildup planning and workshop prep took its toll around my waist thats for sure.....
lol, Wow that's a hell of a BTS! :D When I was building my press and other things I can't tell you how much time I stood staring at the pile of steel and lumber, wondering what I got myself into. Glad I stuck it out. Yea, and the beer to help the thinking process... :D

Looking forward to seeing the pics.
OAC

Post by OAC »

My recent BTSR are good/bad depends how you look at it. 0:6!
I keep i t low so I can go heavy on the After Ski! :)
Otherwise it will only be Heavy Ski!
gladegp

Vacuum press

Post by gladegp »

Hi
I've got a few questions about the press. How do you connect your vacuum to the press. Do you have many holes in the base plate with attached hoses? Don't you need breather fabric when you have the grooves in the base plate?

Dou you need a powerful vacuumpump for this kind of setup? I have a pump from Jula already which pumps 3,4 m3/h. Do you think this woud do?
http://www.jula.se/vakuumpump-130-w-739002

Did you have sealing problems with the MDF base, is that why you went to bakelitt?

Where did you buy the silicone?

Gustav
OAC

Post by OAC »

Hi

I only have one connector under the table. It's enough. I don't have any grooves anymore and I have difficulties to see where I can fit in the breather fabric. But that's more a personal question. I just don't use it.

You will be fine with that pump. It's not that much air you need to draw. (Actually you could do it with a hand pump! But then there will be problems holding the vacuum)
I hope you've gone thru the setup/documentation at JoeWoodworker? That will get you all the details how a vacuum setup should look like.

You can't use MDF as the final table top. The air goes right thru it. I switched to bakelit when I started using heat. I had foamed PVC first, but it deforms around 65°C. Bakelit is around 300°C.

Here is where I get the silicone sheet: http://www.rima.se/

Good luck!

Janne
gladegp

Thanks

Post by gladegp »

Thanks a lot Janne

At first I didn't find the specific info on JoeWoodworker on a frame like yours but I was just beeing a bit stupid. I've found it now :)

Thanks for the info
I really like the skis you're making

Gustav

Edit: After reading through JoeWoodworker it struck me that the technique he's using to seal the wood could be used to seal the MDF. I was thinking more specifically that a coat of epoxy on the MDF board applied with a roller could make it air tight.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Yes, the epoxy roll is an option too. Be sure you cover everything. The air find every little leak!

JoeWoodworker: I was more thinking of the set up of the vacuum pump and the regulators. Since you going to press for a couple of hours, you might consider that. Otherwise you have to have the pump running all the time.
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/EVS/concept.htm
OAC

Post by OAC »

Signed, sealed, delivered...!

OAC-10
176cm
144 - 109 - 134
r=22m??
BTSR=0:2 (Will change till next pair...)

Will be used for telemark.
Last edited by OAC on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

:D Thats good work Janne!

Working on my new vacuum press...

Merry Christmas!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
OAC

Post by OAC »

Thanks!
I will rebuild mine after new year.
I keep getting alot of dirt in the pump. Although I have filters between. Needs investigation.