OAC 2011/2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

OAC 2011/2012

Post by OAC »

Starting up...
:D
New molds and "ski building beer"!!!

sammer

Post by sammer »

Looks like you've been busy.
You deserve a beer!
Molds look good, any camber in that rockered one?

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
richie

that man looks very chilled out!

Post by richie »

Hey dude, great pic, so your workshop has room for a fridge too? Does a fridge keep beer warm enough to drink in your country ie. above 0, or cool enough? I thought up your way it was pretty cold eh!?

Nice moulds, I am awaiting some profiles to be cut so I can build my first split boards, can;t wait everything takes too long!!!!! Maybe less beer for me.

Cheers
Rich
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
OAC

Post by OAC »

sammer wrote:Looks like you've been busy.
You deserve a beer!
Molds look good, any camber in that rockered one?
sam
No camber on the rockered ones.
When it comes to the molds, I'm a "cheater" :| these days, outsourced to a company with a grotesque big cnc machine! The design is mine though! :)
OAC

Re: that man looks very chilled out!

Post by OAC »

richie wrote:.. I thought up your way it was pretty cold eh!?

In the winter, yes. The summers are pretty fair. I live on the west coast, so I'm privilieged(don't say that to other swedes... :D )
So how about yours(winters)? Coming up soon?

Cheers
falls

Post by falls »

My local hill this morning
No lifts for another month though. It will probably all melt before then, but fingers crossed.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
OAC

Post by OAC »

It's a good start!
I remember spotting your area on google maps once. How much snow do you get in a (regular) season?
richie

starting up.....

Post by richie »

Weather here is pretty dry climate compared to other parts of NZ, still we get our dose of rain and cold temps, and on the coast we even get a bit of sleet / snow occasionally and a few good frosts, but overall its a great climate here summer and winter. Wish I could say the same for the earthquakes, getting sick of those! Our hills have a nice light dusting of snow now, fingers crossed more coming. My workshop is coming along well, I am in the middle of building my core profiling machine which is a router on rails basically with bearings etc, bit of a beefed up router bridge really. Just waiting on Jim at Crown to despatch my base to me, thats getting a bit urgent now! Hey OAC, what CAD are you using? I'm trying to learn to use Rhino eval kit at the moment but as usual with any CAD its not exactly easy for me to pick up, still I want to get my profiles cnc cut too and not hack them out.

Cheers
Rich

falls

Post by falls »

I think we usually get about 3 metres a season, sometimes up towards 4 metres. Bear in mind though out season is only really 3 months long. Makes it sound a bit better. It's fun but generally not a patch on skiing in the northern hemisphere.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
richie

northern hemisphere trip

Post by richie »

yeah agree , we get some good snow down here in NZ too but I never heard of the huge dumps like in north america or european areas, still we do get some good powder time to time, I guess that has a lot to do with how high up, how much moisture, and how cold eh! Still its looking good this year with south easterly flows over southern NZ which bring shitloads of snow to the Canterbury ski fields in my area. Hey Tim we should do a trip up to see OAC and drink some of his beer and ski some of his secret stashes sometime eh! cheers Rich

OAC

Re: northern hemisphere trip

Post by OAC »

richie wrote: Hey Tim we should do a trip up to see OAC and drink some of his beer and ski some of his secret stashes sometime eh! cheers Rich
You're more than welcome! But hurry, the beer won't last long... :)
I was in Oz and NZ in 1987, diving, sailing and watched rugby! No skiing.

And about CAD, I use Snocad-X for the most of my "creations", which aren't that complex. I export the files to "*.dxf", go to my CNC-partner and he uses AutoCad. And now we talk wizard! It takes him like 30sec. to get rid of all the gazillions of point that comes out of Snocad when exporting an arc. This goes for both the templates and mold.
Right now I'm learning DraftSight. But it goes slow.
richie

Hmmm CAD driving me nuts

Post by richie »

Yeah CAD, where do I start, for someone thats been working in IT for 25 years, CAD makes me feel like a complete beginner not the geek I thought I was! Snowcad although simple I think does some pretty nasty things where end of one curve hits another, the "blend" or transition between camber mid section and tip/tail is not really handled well with Snowcad unless I am missing something really simple? you end up with a bump kind of. My patience is being stretched and I'd much rather be building machines to build skis and boards rather than fiddling with computers, I do it 40hrs a week and that enough! I have a mate who is overseas curently testing his new ski binding system , known him 25 years and he has a good grip on CAD so he will do my profiles on his return, check out www.exobindings.com for his project its very cool. I've used it and it works. Thsi guy goes on some serious missions, a week or 2 by himself on very long traverses of our southern alps, great stuff. Keep an eye on his blog.

cheers
Rich

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC do you have a beer-to-ski ratio when you build? :D I think I'll be looking for someone to do CNC for me too. I'd like to get my templates made out of some stock AL. I'm sure it won't be cheap.....

Richie - I agree about the CAD and IT. When you do IT all day you really don't feel working on the computer when you get home... spending an hour to make a curved line meet another curved line. :x

Your buddy has a pretty cool binding system. Love the simplicity of it.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Then we are three, IT day time, skibuilders rest of the day. Just to "prove" that working with IT 40h/week is enough. I posted a reply on this yesterday...(were is it???)
And I will never be a CAD wiz (or even a normal user)(but I can interpret exceptions in Java...)(and reading logfiles in UNIX/Linux...)(and set up enterprise systems..)(but somwhere along the IT-path I lost it with graphics, multimedia and that stuff, trying real hard to keep up with the kids in social networking)

The BTSr (Beer-To-Ski-ratio) is high for the moment... 2:1
Need to lower it. I'm too heavy and I blame the beer for it! :)
OAC

Post by OAC »

The BTSr just exceeded 10:1....