OAC 2011/2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

I think he uses a router bridge to profile an MDF crib for the planer. Right OAC?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
OAC

Post by OAC »

Right!
OAC

Post by OAC »

And out comes my first wood veneer'ed skis!

First impressions: Great top sheet! (If I may say!) I used the same as "lucasty" http://alpi.it. I found out they have a reseller in Sweden!
Not so impressed by the flex. Little too soft. Maybe I'm a little "greedy" with the FG or I have to make a thicker core. The think process has started...

This weeks episode of the new comedy show, "0 and a ½ ski builder!": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnmya0BnXIo

Next episode: The finish!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Wow. Those are going to be spectacular. What's that mess on the lower left of the right-hand ski? :) Use a carbon fiber stringer on the next pair...

PRO TIP: Don't pull the protective film off of the veneer until you've finished grinding them. Do what I say, not what I do hahaha
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
OAC

Post by OAC »

Brazen wrote:... What's that mess on the lower left of the right-hand ski? ...
I can't tell you it's a secret! :) Just sanded it a little.
I will leave them to rest and then PU varnish them and polish them, until they shine like your boards!
OAC

Post by OAC »

Brazen wrote: PRO TIP: Don't pull the protective film off of the veneer until you've finished grinding them. Do what I say, not what I do hahaha
Sh*t! Good idea! I didn't consider it as a protective film for the veneer, just a layer for the silicone membrane. I was too eager to see the result.:| Note taken!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Is the top sheet teak? They look great! Watched your video. When you took the cassette off the bottom of the skis I thought you snapped the skis! I was waiting for the swearing to start :D.

I'm using reconstituted teak for my next pair I'm making for a friend, if my supply of ptex and edges ever arrive. Reconstituted teak, it's a process by which the manufacturer stacks sheets of left over veneer on top of each other, glue it, press it, then re-slice it so it all looks like vertical grain. Much cheaper than normal teak veneer. I think I have enough teak to make a pair for my self too. ;)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

skidesmond wrote:Is the top sheet teak? They look great! Watched your video. When you took the cassette off the bottom of the skis I thought you snapped the skis! I was waiting for the swearing to start :D.

I'm using reconstituted teak for my next pair I'm making for a friend, if my supply of ptex and edges ever arrive. Reconstituted teak, it's a process by which the manufacturer stacks sheets of left over veneer on top of each other, glue it, press it, then re-slice it so it all looks like vertical grain. Much cheaper than normal teak veneer. I think I have enough teak to make a pair for my self too. ;)
Supplier por favor?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
OAC

Post by OAC »

skidesmond wrote:Is the top sheet teak?
Reconstituted teak, it's a process by which the manufacturer stacks sheets of left over veneer on top of each other, glue it, press it, then re-slice it so it all looks like vertical grain. Much cheaper than normal teak veneer. I think I have enough teak to make a pair for my self too. ;)
No, it's what you describe...slices from left overs...I'm told. Maybe it's not veneer by definition...but it's very effectfull and light!

@MM: I guess you pointed at SD?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

yeah that alpi stuff looks cool. they have some wild colors.

I never looked into what it would cost in the us.

http://alpi.it/uk/ListaProdotti.asp?IDSC=14
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Close to a finished product...(maybe):

Tomorrow: some logos, and more varnish....

(Strong varnish/laquer can't be healthy?...)(...even with a mask with recommended filter level...)(...I'm glad I'm not doing this all day!)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC wrote:
skidesmond wrote:Is the top sheet teak?
Reconstituted teak, it's a process by which the manufacturer stacks sheets of left over veneer on top of each other, glue it, press it, then re-slice it so it all looks like vertical grain. Much cheaper than normal teak veneer. I think I have enough teak to make a pair for my self too. ;)
No, it's what you describe...slices from left overs...I'm told. Maybe it's not veneer by definition...but it's very effectfull and light!

@MM: I guess you pointed at SD?
I get my veneer from www.certainlywood.com. They are located in upstate NY. They have a wide variety of exotic veneers, no wild colors like Alpi.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Great job - you must be pleased. The reduction in waste is amazing. Finishing must have been a doddle : )

Like the look of the tip moulds - any close up of the results? Have found a guy selling kevlar tows for £0.07 per metre (3000 denier) if you are thinking of lacing your base.

SD - Teak is ok, but its not that stable. You might end up with a lot of cracking, which might be worse as it is end grain. I hope I am wrong, but might be worth doing a small sample. I think Luca must have taken the decision to optimise the veneer by choosing straight grain with reasonably high janka hardness. You can put your own colour into veneer SD
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks Rich. A test sample is a good idea. Especially since the teak I'm using will be for a friend.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Richuk wrote: Like the look of the tip moulds - any close up of the results? Have found a guy selling kevlar tows for £0.07 per metre (3000 denier) if you are thinking of lacing your base.
Close ups coming up. What is "lacing your base"?