OAC 2011/2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

OAC

Post by OAC »

Ok! Have you tried it? Honestly, it seems like overdoing it a little bit...?
Have you tried Kevlar instead of FG or CF? Aramid?
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Not yet - but I think it is a good intermediate step when in the middle of a re-design. It might well be over-doing it, until you hit a rock ; )

I think kevlar is the thread to use - relevant for the purpose. CF tows are unlikely to react well to the lacing process - I suspect?

Btw - ever tried TWIKI
OAC

Post by OAC »

Richuk wrote: Btw - ever tried TWIKI
No, we use a product called confluence at work. It's a commercial product. Actually I don't know the difference between all wikis.
OAC

Post by OAC »

I haven't decided if I'm finished...I'm carried away by blank finish so I have to rethink about the logos etc..:)

I'm very pleased with the finish, but need to work on the reinforcement. It's a little to soft and the torsional strength aren't that impressive. I will do a couple of those skidesmond tests with a "twist",...so to speak, before next build.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

They look awesome. If they are soft save them for a day of carving on packed powder. :)
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

dunno how I missed that. Now I can't post in that thread for some reason.

I was going to do something similar on a board that I built last year, but I opted for just reinforcing the edge with 5 oz kevlar in the binding area.
OAC

Post by OAC »

(Little carried away with the builds and posted in the wrong journal)

Saturday night Late build.
Finished the second pair of this "batch", "The Wolverines". I changed the top sheet to white. Bad idea! White top sheet and carbon fiber don't mix. They probably will if you have a plan/process for it. Now there are a lot of black fibers all over the top sheet. Anyway, both pair came out well (except for the finish thou..) Very good characteristics. Not too stiff and very good torsional rigidity. The white par has the core with Poplar, Ash and Paowlonia (30% each) and Quad-axial CF! 600g/m². But since the core is very light, 575g, the CF was probably needed. The whole ski weighs 1600g. I don't know, but it feels like a light ski. The Black ones are heavier and feels like a normal ski 1775g.
All n all I'm happy. Need to work more an the finish business. The mechanics was over expectations! And also used the "Sick-Fit" method for the edges! ;)
Now I have tools for the rest of the builds this year! Now I will take a week off from ski buiilding. Back in the work shop in about a week!

Cheer!

PS. They will be post-finished later... ;-)
OAC

Post by OAC »

New core approach!

Ash and poplar in 5mm strips!
This better be good!

Twice the time resawing, twice the time of glueing(not true, I cheated with a roller...), twice the amount of glue
...right now just a lot of work!

deepskis

Post by deepskis »

OAC wrote:New core approach!

Ash and poplar in 5mm strips!
This better be good!

Twice the time resawing, twice the time of glueing(not true, I cheated with a roller...), twice the amount of glue
...right now just a lot of work!
Thats impressive Janne! Looks good. What are you trying to achieve with those thin stringers? Torsional stiffnes? On my next pair I am trying a finger joint core to achieve that. On my last pair I managed to get the core much stiffer so they turned out pretty good. The ski testing weekend with my friends in sälen is getting closer...
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
OAC

Post by OAC »

Where's the snow? when are you going?

I don't know what I try to achieve. Just seen others doing it...I might as well try it. The future will tell :)
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Janne: Im glad to say, ITS ACTUALLY SNOWING HERE! Smal smal crystals, slowly covering the ground.....

deepskis: are you going up to sälen? Would be so nice to meet up there with some other builders. Hopfully my first funktionally pair will be done and whose are going to be tested under the ski testing weekend in Tandådalen.
http://www.skistar.com/sv/Salen/Skidakn ... acken/#now
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

OAC wrote:Where's the snow? when are you going?

I don't know what I try to achieve. Just seen others doing it...I might as well try it. The future will tell :)
Trial and error... Thats also what I did today. I will not try a finger joint core again... Catastrophy. I will make a new Ash core instead.

Also working on a new vacuum system with inspiration from "the Vacumaster 3000"...

We are going to Lindvallen 1/12. Still hoping for snow...

www.deepskis.com
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

K.Ström wrote:deepskis: are you going up to sälen? Would be so nice to meet up there with some other builders. Hopfully my first funktionally pair will be done and whose are going to be tested under the ski testing weekend in Tandådalen.
http://www.skistar.com/sv/Salen/Skidakn ... acken/#now
Hi K!
Yes we are going up to Sälen 1/12 for the ski testing weekend in Lindvallen. Dont know if you will be there then but it would be fun to meet you and see your work. I will also be there for Christmas. I have a couple of skis and a monster snowboard to test...
//Marcus

www.deepskis.com
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

You will get a more homogeneous core that way. Yes, you will be adding more glue and therefore adding the properties of the glue vs. the wood.

Most commercial skis that I have seen cross sections of have thin strips such as this.

It does take more time and wastes a little more wood, but overall yields a more consistent product.