His and Hers Skinny Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

powderho

His and Hers Skinny Skis

Post by powderho »

I finally made some skis that powder-slaying wasn't the number one priority. I probably will only ski them a few times the rest of the season; but my quiver isn't very diverse. I need something other than 120mm under foot (I think). The skis I built for me are 130-105-120 in a 185 length with a 32m turn radius. The skis for my lady are the same dimensions in a 177cm length. Both skis have bamboo cores with maple sidewalls, Coda topsheets, 22 oz Vectorply, scrap Durasurf, QCM epoxy, and a bit of VDS. Very basic construction that gets the job done.

His

Hers

I'm hopefully getting them mounted tomorrow and it looks like there will be some nice slush up there to try them out before more powder in a few days.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Very nice. I love that we are now calling a 105 underfoot a skinny ski.

Do you get your bamboo locally (SLC)? Where at?
tufty

Post by tufty »

WhitePine wrote:Very nice. I love that we are now calling a 105 underfoot a skinny ski.
Indeed. That's way fatter than my B3s, and nearly as wide as my skwal.

Nice graphics, though.
powderho

Post by powderho »

WhitePine wrote:Very nice. I love that we are now calling a 105 underfoot a skinny ski.

Do you get your bamboo locally (SLC)? Where at?
The bamboo is Teragren brand purchased from McBeath's. You're missing out if you haven't been there. Awesome hardwood selection. You have to buy at least a box of bamboo at a time. There's 12 planks 3.5" x 6' x 3/4" thick. I think it was around $120. I'm very happy with these cores so far.

This ski felt absolutely tiny to me up at the bird today with 6" of fresh on a definite crust layer. They did float awesome, the tips never went under, but they weren't surfy by any means. I think the place for these skis will be corn and slush.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I know what you mean by going to a narrower ski. I just cut out my bases for my new touring skis and made them 112 under foot and they look too skinny.

I am trying to go light with a Dynafit setup so I thought I would make them a little smaller. They should be awesome for Sierra corn but deeper pow I may want more. I guess there's nothing wrong with having a quiver for touring!

Sweet looking skis.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Hey I hope you weren't using your "skinny skis" today up at the Bird. Especially with 19" of fresh.

So my buddy called me up and said he rode up with a guy that builds his own skis and that they started talking ski building and whatnot. So I thought, how many people in Salt Lake are in to building their own skis. I'm thinking not very many. Once he told me the name of the skis I put 2 and 2 together. It was Powderho.

Small world.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I saw a pair of garages on the tram at the bird in feb and I thought maybe it was powho but he said he was a freind of yours. I bet you have allot of friends with over 50 pair circulating.
nice flex on those and he said his were ash and maple.
i am putting ash in a new core run right now.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.