artski's skibuilding project

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

are those trampoline springs? in the pics above? If so how long are they when not under tension. If not what kind of springs are they?

I have a bunch of trampoline springs that I was given that I'm planning on using to suspend my track and hose.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
artski

Post by artski »

vinman you are very observant, that is what they are. You just have to get the distance right when your press is not inflated. With the price of springs at the hardware if you can make them work its money. :)
vinman

Post by vinman »

nice I think that mine are 7 inch springs. I need to clean up some of them as they have some rust on them. A friend had his tramp partially sitting in his pond. He decided to get rid of his tramp and gave me the springs.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

The company I work for is actually a retailer of aj landmark trampolines so we have lots o springs. I doubt I get a deal but we sell them for $2 spring if anyone needs them.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I wouldn't worry too much about forgetting the VDS. What is likely to happen after you flex them and ski on them is you might get some cracking/delam right above the edge. You'll get good lessons-learned with each pair you make, so ski on these and start planning your next pair, and you won't forget the VDS next time :)
vinman

Post by vinman »

you can find tramp springs on CL and ebay for cheap or perhaps even free on CL.
artski

Post by artski »

Hey guys; Its been a while since I've posted on here and I've been busy.I made a pair of race carvers that I like for racing on my beer league but freeskiing on them for very long really wears me out.
dims; 2-12-2 laminated ash core 4oz carbon tape 3 in. wide above and below 22oz fiberglass above and below and clear topsheet with some black fabric below. 15 meter sidecut.
these skis are pretty demanding and only want to carve, but get them up to speed and they really perform. On our midwest hardpack I load em' up and I can stand on them.
I don't have any pics becouse I lost my camera on powder day back in dec. and as I am not working right now my budget is too tight to buy a new one. The lay off is temporary and its great for skiing and skibuilding but not so great for the budget.
I got a hold of some pre-preg carbon from a guy who used to be in the industry and I used it on a pair of skis that I was making for a buddy. It did'nt bond,I've since found out that it requires a lot of heat to get it to bond, he failed to give me that little tidbit of info.
So long story short, I have a pair of skis that I want to try to save. I like the flex of the ski without the carbon so if I sand the surfaces of whats left will they bond?
By the way, I have a roll of pre-preg carbon 48" by prob.40' if any one is interested.
thanks, art
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Hi Art,
What are the rest of the ski dims (length, tip mid, tail)? I made an attempt at a race ski as well, modeled after a Fischer GS ski.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... t=section8

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... t=section8
artski

Post by artski »

Hey desmond, yeh the ski is a 174 with a 122 tip 74 mid and 106 tail.I used tipspacers and tail spacers on this ski.
I really like the combination of energy and dampness in it.
I had boot center at 55 mm back of center wich is where I had sidecut center and profile center as well. I put a demo binding on them and ended up moving the binding back towards the tail about a half inch and liked it better there.
What is the generally accepted location for boot center as opposed to ski center?
The ski that I'm trying to save is a much simpler lay-up,its a 177 with 130-97-116 ash core 2-12-2 base, fg, core, fg, clear topsheet.
regards, art
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I do the same, boot center is set 55mm back.
artski

Post by artski »

Had to revive this journal to bask in the glory of being the coolest guy on earth. So says my wife.Image
artski

Post by artski »

How do you make them bigger?
artski

Post by artski »

Let me try thisImage
artski

Post by artski »

A buddy of mine wanted a pair of frontside carvers with his 55 les paul jr. and some vargas girls.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

WOW, nice job!