rasi's 1st - finished in December

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rasi

rasi's 1st - finished in December

Post by rasi »

OK, It's a bit late, these were already finished in Dec. but it took me until now to upload some photos...

More Photos including pics of my press setup and raw materials are up on my FLICKr account.

Dimensions: 120-80-110
Length: 195 cm

The aspen core was CNC cut but hand profiled to 2mm - 11mm - 2mm. I used Durasurf materials for base, topsheet and sidewalls, the blue 2mm thick tip/tailspacers + the rupper strips are from Snowboardmaterials.com. Both under and above the core is two layers of triax fibreglass (450g/m2). These are semi-twintips: front is 5 cm high, rear 3cm. 1cm camber. The used aviation approved epoxy has 48 total cure time and left the ski for the whole two days in the press at 4-5 bar. There is no relaxation, neither in tips nor in camber.

I mounted them up with my new and beloved Bomber Bishop - an awsesome tele binding! I especially like the ability to mount subplates to the ski and then attach the binding with four 5mm hex screws...far more convenient than G3's with inserts.

The week before chrismas I spent a few days in Tonale, Italy and rode them on mostly hardpacked artifical snow. They performed better than expected - man! they were skiable :D For my taste they are a bit too soft, next time I have to go for carbon or titan. Nevertheless they were quite nice to ski in the moguls, unfortunately pow was missing :-(. But what I noticed was that they performed better when I skied them alpine style with the heels back down. When tele-ing they were a bit more bumpy (correct adjective here? - sorry, English is not my mother tongue). I'm not certain whether this is caused by the ski's softness or a design error (sweet spot to far rear as a result of the semi-twintip design? -maybe).
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Great looking skis!

I really enjoyed viewing your slideshow of images on Flickr.

I would like to know a few specifics about your ski.

What are the core thickness dimensions?
What wood did you use for the core?
Did you use a CAD program to draw your ski? If so, what program and did you have any printing issues?

Congrats on a sucessful build!

cheers.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

That looks super sweet! Did you mount them on chord center?

-kelvin
rasi

Post by rasi »

hose-man wrote:Great looking skis!

I really enjoyed viewing your slideshow of images on Flickr.

I would like to know a few specifics about your ski.

Here are a few specifics:
Core thickness is 11 mm on 35 cm underfoot, and 2 mm on 20 cm in tip and 2mm on 15 cm in tail.
I used aspen for the core - laminated in 1/2" wide strips.
And yes, I used a CAD for it: AutoCAD. It's originally built for architectural work but it came out quite well. I printed it on a plotter but used the print only to align the layup in the press. Base and core were CNC cut after my local carpenter had converted the drawings with Nemetscheck VectorWorks.
kelvin wrote: That looks super sweet! Did you mount them on chord center?
No, I mounted them on balance point (That's the quasi tele mounting standard here in Europe and did always work great for me) and the Bomber Bishop gives me the ability to move the 3-pin line both one inch forward and rearward.

For the next ski I plan using carbon to achieve a better torsional rigidity as Ti/TiAl is very hard to find in proper sizes here.