Twizz 2010/2011

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

a.badner

Post by a.badner »

from what ive learned; stiffer is better in the park... except for butters, that just is useless in most occasions though.

have fun skiing. my seasons pretty much comming to end already.
i may or may not go up to tuckerman's ravine some time in april. maybe some of you east coasters there?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote:from what ive learned; stiffer is better in the park... except for butters, that just is useless in most occasions though.
It's all personal preference. I've been skiing park about what... 12 years now? (although the last two years or so I've kind of grown out of the park and the kids that have taken over. I find I have more fun on steep/challenging terrain, and in the trees, than in the park).

For me personally, I like stiffer skis on larger jumps, but medium/small jumps, and any rails/boxes I like a noodly soft ski. It's much easier to toss around. I like a soft ski in the pipe too.

Finally took the "wet" crabbies up today (no park though). I filed the edges last fall, but never bothered to hit them with the gummi stone. They were SO grabby and almost unsafe with those edges, especially in today's icy conditions. I'd get going way too fast on the ice, but the edges wouldn't let me break lose and sideslip to check speed. I ended up taking off both skis and using one ski to file the other ski's edges down. Actually worked great, after that they skied great! Nearly identical in feel to my old Line 1260s, which was exactly what I was going for. Mission accomplished!

We're having this weird late winter in the PNW. January was nothing but rain all month in the mountains and we were at about 50% our normal snowpack, but February and now March have been huge and we're almost up to 100% now (way over 100% up north). The last 3 or 4 weeks have been pretty epic powder days for us at Alpental, last week especially with the mountain virtually to ourselves. Today the snow was shit though (and the first time I've skied on a weekend in like 3 years... lift lines SUCK)

Forecasts are calling for another cold week with more snow. La Nina finally showed up!
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Today the snow was shit though (and the first time I've skied on a weekend in like 3 years... lift lines SUCK)
Sounds like you need to throw some skins on those babies and hit the backcountry. You can extend your season well into the summer. The safe touring season is just starting too. Ignore this comment if you hate hiking.

PS- Twiz, your post count just hit 666. Does this mean something?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

WhitePine wrote:
Today the snow was shit though (and the first time I've skied on a weekend in like 3 years... lift lines SUCK)
Sounds like you need to throw some skins on those babies and hit the backcountry. You can extend your season well into the summer. The safe touring season is just starting too. Ignore this comment if you hate hiking.

PS- Twiz, your post count just hit 666. Does this mean something?
Ha, I do hate hiking, but I am trying to get myself more willing to do it. People sometimes say you need to earn your turns - I say I earn my turns by working at my day job and then buying a lift ticket :)

Took a basic avy course about a month ago, just need to get a probe and beacon (as does my partner, kevywevy)

My posts have exceeded 666 now, phew! That was a close call!
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

where are the dry crab delam pics? :?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

KevyWevy wrote:where are the dry crab delam pics? :?
Well well well, welcome back to SkiBuilders. Haven't seen you in forever (except in real life, where I see you all too often)

I threw the crabbies in the storage room in despair and have yet to take them out again.

Not sure if I posted about it or not - for others reading, I had my very first delam on the dry crabby sticks. Just at the tails on both skis, only about an inch or two, and only on the VDS... strange. Perhaps the VDS was dirty, it was certainly wet with resin during the layup. Without looking into it more, one easy lesson-learned is that I am going to pre-bend my edges before layup (I bend them around the tips, but leave them flat... from now on I will also bend them into the tip shape). I think the edges wanting to relax out of the tip shape is contributing to the delam.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Twizz, was there a lot of CA glue left on top of the edges? I have a friend in the snowboard bis that told be to be sure to scrape down any extra CA glue from the edges. They think it leads to some delams.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I don't think there was excessive CA there, but that could be part of it.

When I put VDS in the tips I usually use two 4-5" long sections and put them at 45 deg angles. The base/edges delamed where the VDS is, but did not delam where the base was directly touching the fiberglass. The p-tex actually tore in a v-shape where the VDS pieces meet, if that makes sense. I'll get some photos at some point.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Vinman wrote:Twizz, was there a lot of CA glue left on top of the edges? I have a friend in the snowboard bis that told be to be sure to scrape down any extra CA glue from the edges. They think it leads to some delams.
Interesting about the CA glue. I struggled for awhile to fix the edge fall/delam of the tip edges. Pre-bending definitely helped especially since I'm using full wood cores. When I super glued the edges in the tip area I would fill most of the teeth area will super glue to "make sure they stuck". Maybe I was a little to generous.

Good info!