Twizz 2010/2011

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You had soft tails? Did shifting the core back make much difference?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

No I had the sidewalls not meet the core like that.
Yeah 1 pair with soft tails, I have been running a longer taper from the tip and thus putting the thick point back 5-10cm.
1 Pair I offset back but i felt like 15+cm of tip spacer was pushing it.
I have yet to do any cores with a flat area. That's next.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Everything is ready to go, still waiting for the topsheets, although I am told they will ship tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I've got the fiberglass cut and ready to go, tip spacers cut, core locator pins (dowels) glued to the bases. I do need to do a little more routing on the cores for the edges since I shifted the cores back, but that's a 10 minute job I'll do tonight.

Also - I finally caved and am building a cat track. After so long of me arguing that cat tracks aren't needed, I'm finally giving into the fact that all production ski presses use them. I ordered the aluminum from Alaskan Copper Works in Seattle, and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'm doing 3/4", 1/8" wall square tube the whole length.
webboy

Post by webboy »

Stoke! Can't wait to see them come out of the press. ;)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

twizzstyle wrote:
Also - I finally caved and am building a cat track. After so long of me arguing that cat tracks aren't needed, I'm finally giving into the fact that all production ski presses use them. I ordered the aluminum from Alaskan Copper Works in Seattle, and I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'm doing 3/4", 1/8" wall square tube the whole length.
HA!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah yeah, laugh it up :oops:

Ok a few new pictures.

Edge bender

Finished edges

The bamboo plugs I made to put on the bottom side of the inserts

This is what the pre-cured fiberglass/carbon fiber from Snowboard Materials looks like un-cut. The center stringer made a perfect line to cut the sheet in half.

Here it is cut

I had to lay everything out just to see how nice it all looked. Here's everything ready to go, sans top sheets :(

I bagged up some of the stuff just to keep it clean while I wait for the top sheets. Come on topsheets!! I'm ready!
falls

Post by falls »

hey twizz
everything looks great.
What is the theory behind precuring the glass/carbon?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
thefreshpimpofbigair

Post by thefreshpimpofbigair »

Twizz....
Thanks for the precure pics.... it already looks stiff!
Looks as if it was manufactured for the snowboard ind.
Falls, the pre cure should be lighter and stiffer...it is wet out, then pulled into tension, then cured hard.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

thefreshpimpofbigair wrote:Twizz....
Thanks for the precure pics.... it already looks stiff!
Looks as if it was manufactured for the snowboard ind.
Falls, the pre cure should be lighter and stiffer...it is wet out, then pulled into tension, then cured hard.
Exactly. It's pretty thin, so the idea is that there won't be as much resin in this ski vs a wet layup, just enough to adhere the layers together. Lighter/stiffer is what I'm hoping will be the result, but I won't know until they're out of the press.

Also by curing the sheet under tension the fibers are already sort of "pre-loaded" (bad term, they're not carrying any load yet). But they are all straight so much more efficient at taking up load (thats what should make it stiffer). The stuff isn't cheap though, at $17 a meter (four meters needed for a pair of skis)

That's why I'm making these two pairs in parallel, every step has been done exactly the same way and at the same time between the two so that the only variable is the fiberglass layers.
falls

Post by falls »

Ok thanks
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Productive weekend. Got all four of the crabby sticks pressed. The "wet" pair I got all trimmed up and finished, they're ready for wax and the mountain. The dry (precured) layup I've got pressed, but I still need to do all the trimming/grinding/finishing.

The wet layup are pretty soft, I used a similar profile shape as my last powder skis cause I liked the flex pattern, but I should have made them thicker overall. I'll use the same profile but thicker for my next pair.

The pair with the pre-cured stuff feel to be quite stiff, but I'll see how they feel once I get them all trimmed up.

It's been a while since I put anything in the press, was a blast laying up four skis in one day!

Pictures!

Don't mind the red primer. I made some changes to the press last week so there was lots of cutting/welding. I just wanted to keep it from rusting. I'm going to paint the whole thing red soon. The changes made it much easier to load, our new hose is actually long enough (our old hose was barely long enough, made it hard to load) and I made room for the new cat track.

OAC

Post by OAC »

Sweet!

As always, I'm impressed of you(and others) getting perfect fit with the edges! I will now work on a edge bender.
What size are you using on the rolls on the edge bender?
falls

Post by falls »

awesome twizz!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great graphics and superb finish! Way to go!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Those look amazing.