Eric's Boards

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

You might have seen it already and I don't want to stick my nose in, but HeadMonkey did a great post on cnc machines ;)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I just CNC'd my bench top mill, it was pretty easy. The working area on my mill is pretty tiny though, but I figure I can use it to make parts to build a larger CNC router next year for making ski cores, etc. :) Have you looked into CAM/CNC software yet? I'm using Mach3 to drive mine.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Well, I've become intimately familiar with Head Monkeys web site but I haven't looked here.

I found something called MeshCam. It's gotten some pretty good opinions and it's fairly easy to use, so I'll probably use that to generate tool paths and get a copy of Mach3 to run the thing.
EricW

Post by EricW »

I finally bought a planer to profile cores with. The inquisitive mind may think, "Hey, what happened to the cnc?" Well I'm glad you asked. It's more expensive than I care to deal with before I even get one board out, so planer crib it is. I think I can get a reasonably accurate core with this, plus it has a slow speed so I think I can minimize the sniping in the thin sections of the core.

I'm pretty stoked about this as I'll probably be able to get 1 or 2 boards out now.

I'm hoping to get the press started/done next week some time.

I can get about 20 feet of distance out of the dust port. It's pretty ridiculous.
falls

Post by falls »

The Dewalt Planer should do a pretty nice job.
Most small indie ski companies use the planer crib method to shape cores because it is accurate enough and quicker than programming and cutting on a CNC.Most small companies don't seem to have a CNC until they get established, and even then use it for molds and templates rather than cutting bases or cores. Plus planer knives are a lot cheaper to replace than good quality CNC router bits.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

That is probably the best portable planer that I have used.

If your crib is set up right, your accuracy should be within a few hundredths of a mm.

I think you'll be very pleased.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice planer! The planer crib method works pretty well. You should be able to profile a core in 10min.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Work on the press has finally started after much internal debate on the best way to do it for the cost. Wood with steel reinforcement won out. Only had time to dry fit the bottom unfortunately. 2x6 with 3/4" MDO sandwich.

EricW

Post by EricW »

Most of the press frame got done this week. Still have a lot of the steel to put on but that easy when compared to standing at the drill press for hours. Since I don't weld, and don't care to, the steel frames are put together with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I'm thinking the joints are stronger than the steel.

There is a spot about 2 feet long that has a bump about 1/32". I don't know if this will matter but it's annoying the crap out of me anyway. Actually, it may be more of a dip going to the edge of the press, starting about 2 in from the edge.

I think I'll recess the threaded rods before I add more steel. They're in the way. So much for thinking ahead.

I liked Falls's idea for a planer crib so I'm going with something similar. I have my blocks spaced every 3".

Heat blankets aren't in the budget this year so I'm curious what you guys do to get by without them.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

EricW wrote: Heat blankets aren't in the budget this year so I'm curious what you guys do to get by without them.
Just use an epoxy that is meant for room temp cures.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great progress. The press reminds me of mine and I made mine for the same reasons. A couple of more steel supports should do it.
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

Looks great. I have a similar press as well. Center support can be hinged to allow for easy loading.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i39 ... AG0050.jpg
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Looking great eric!!
EricW

Post by EricW »

One poplar/ash book-matched core coming right up. 4-way clamps, where have you been my whole life. Seriously, these things are worth every penny. Unfortunately I'm out of money (that I can spend on snowboards) until my tax return arrives. I can make one more core after this one with the material I have. That's OK because I still have to make my forms for the press.

Happy Birthday to me!
OAC

Post by OAC »

Lucky you! I'm also looking for a new router, but somehow when I get close buying one I realize that I don't use them that much anymore.. :?
Anyway Happy Birthday!